Mixed flock including drakes

meridian35

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Malpas, Cheshire, uk
Ok, so some wisdoms here please. I now have 17 ducks, they are runners (3 female), muscovies (2 drakes, 2 female) khaki campbells (3 drakes, 2 female) and five Aylesbury/Pekin crosses aged four weeks so as yet unsexed. The older ducks are aged from ten weeks up to six months.

My questions include: should I find homes for some of the drakes? I have just moved the five confirmed drakes to a run next to the main run where the others are.

Was it a good idea to seperate them now or not? I did it because at night having 17 ducks in a shed 12ft by 12ft was like bedlam when putting them to bed. And the big old Muscovy drakes were quite rough with the fluffy aylesburys.

Would it be better to put the four muscovies (2 of each sex) together in the smaller run (they have a wooden house in there and a chicken coop)?

I would like eggs to eat and maybe some eggs to hatch and sell on the ducklings to contribute to the feeding costs of the others, so any suggestions gratefully received.

PS I love them all to bits and could never eat them :(

I would seperate ones who enjoy each others cimpany.Usually hens and drakes small form groups.If your noticing this then these ducks enjoy eachothers comapny.One male with two hens.

Also myscovies are very aggressive ducks.Always had trouble with them.

Back
Top Bottom