Mixed Flock or Not?

Something to consider, we learned the hard way... With a mixed flock, try to avoid having a single bird that "stands out" from the group... Usually they are fine, but sometimes they can have a tendency to pick on who they see as "different"

So many good answers! We are placing our orde tomorrow w Meyer and I've noticed limited dates for spring already. They were very helpful at Ohio National and I may have to adjust based on dates.

Well, I don't know what your plan is, but if you get chicks now, they will be laying by spring when everyone else is just getting their chicks ;-)

My kids HAD to have chicks that were 10-14mos by next October, so we had no choice, but as long as we had their chicks, I added more layers(I would like to add some each year) so I will have eggs by spring!!!

So many good answers! We are placing our orde tomorrow w Meyer and I've noticed limited dates for spring already. They were very helpful at Ohio National and I may have to adjust based on dates.
What did you order!? What did you order!?
ya.gif

We have only had chickens for two years but we have a mixed flock - the first a mix from Agway and the second we ordered. The thing that seems to be the most important is your interaction with the chickens and that they fit your weather i.e. cold hardy or heat tolerant. We have A Black Jersey Giant, a Buff Orpington, a leghorn, 3 heritage marans (golden, white and I think black/golden laced), 3 Welsummers, an Easter Egger, a Adulusian, some mixed one (we call her Ghost) and a new girl that we don't know what kind (we bought her as a hatching egg). They seem to get along relatively well. We were told that the Buff would be friendly, she is more skittish. The Welsummers and Easter Egger are the friendliest along with my Jersey girl. We pet them and give them "treats." Just understand how many eggs you want. We originally had a bunch of Leghorns and got a lot of eggs (6/wk/bird) so when we picked out others we were okay choosing chickens that didn't lay as often. With 12 layers (2 molting and the Jersey is brooding over her baby from Sept 10th that she hatched) we get about 4 a day with winter coming. Good luck. We love having all the colors and different birds around our yard. Just pick birds that suit your purpose and needs and can live where you do and you will be fine. Have Fun!

I loooovvveee a variety of color patterns. So - I have Wyandottes. Still looking for a couple of Partridge Wyandotte pullets. I have buff, colombian, silver penciled, silver laced, blue, gold laced, and white.
They're ALL Wyandottes, but the colors are fantastic. The Plymouth Rocks come in a very wide array of color patterns too, but are single comb and Wyandottes are rose comb. Love me some Wyandottes.

This is an additional benefit to mixed flocks that hasn't been mentioned yet, it is much easier to track a sick bird or identify issues with a bird when they are easy to distinguish from the others. I have 7 chickens in my backyard, 2 Black Australorps (super friendly and sooo soft) they lay med-large eggs light brown, 6-7 eggs a week each), 2 Wheaten Marans - a little shy but very good to hold (lay large/Xlarge dark chocolate eggs with speckles, 5-6 eggs a week each), 1 Barred Rock - She's the watchdog for the flock, and a little shy (lays large light brown eggs, 5-6 eggs a week), 2 Cochins, they are like little puppies that want to be held and loved on. They are the quietest of all my birds and always softly chatter to us. They lay med eggs 4-5 eggs a week, creamy pale brown eggs.

They are all different sizes and get along very well. I do notice when foraging, they do tend to stay together in groups by color. My 2 Black Austrolorps with the Black Cochin together, the Barred Rock with the Blue Cochin together, and then the 2 Wheaten Marans are always together. Fortunately, all the birds I picked are friendly, quiet, and not flightly. I've had my chicks for a year now, and my neighbors don't even know I have them (except for the 2 that I told, and they LOVE when I give them fresh eggs)

Last edited:
I love my mixed flock. I thought we'd try a lot of different breeds and decide which ones we prefer. Ours all get along really well. When they free range they tend to stick together in two groups according to which ones were raised together. My older girls are all brown egg layers, but each one lays a slightly different color, size or shape egg so there's lots of variation. My australorp lays a medium brown egg with speckles on the blunt end. Most of my younger group is from Meyer - all very healthy. I was very happy with my chicks from them (although I did get a couple that crow who shouldn't!) That's okay. They're sweet little guys. :)

2 years ago I purchased chickens noted for being friendly and colorful. From those hens I still have 2 Buff Orpintons (lay huge eggs, but not too many), 2 Speckled Sussex (not the best layers, but friendly and I love the coat pattern) and 2 Golden Wyandottes (love the looks of these hens!). This year I decided to concentrate on production. I got 4 RIR, 4 Golden Comets, 4 Black Sex-link, 3 White Leghorns, 3 Barred Rocks (the favorite of a good chicken friend), and 3 Easter Eggers (just for the fun of it). I had read that Leghorns are flighty and not good foragers. Not so in my flock...they are great foragers and not at all flighty, and almost a little broody; they really like to spend a lot of time in the nest boxes. Also they are quite noisy compared to the rest of the flock. I couldn't believe how quickly they started laying; 1 wasn't quite 4 mos old with her first egg. Same for the Comets; they came highly recommended and seem to be real laying machines. The Black sex-link were next with the RIR. Easter eggers took quite a bit longer and Barred Rocks are just now starting to lay at almost 6 mos. Easter eggers are fun with varied colors and puffy cheeks. Black sex links are probably my favorite; they almost look like Australorps with black shiny feathers that have a green/purple sheen in the sun. They are all friendly; almost too friendly as they run to me every morning when I enter the coop. I really have to be careful not to step on anybody. I love the mixed flock and the mixed egg colors. If any of you are near Plain City, OH, check out the ASE feed store. I got my chicks from them this past spring and they have been extremely healthy and vigorous. Their prices were incredibly reasonable; I got sexed pullets for less than the price most hatcheries charge for straight-run.

Hello,

I have a mixed flock.. I have White Leghorns with Rhode Island reds..

They all seem to get along now that they are full grown so I don't see anything wrong with mixed flocks.

Unless you have a rooster, you might not want to mix your flock with roosters.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom