mixed flock question

HSerChickLady

Songster
7 Years
Feb 12, 2012
upstate NY
Can there be problems from putting larger drakes in with smaller females? We may be combining two flocks and would have this predicament. If there are potential problems what might we be looking at? Also what about having drakes of different sizes together? We'd be mixing mallard, rouen, and crested drakes. Just trying to figure out all our options here.

Last edited:
Potentially larger drakes might injure (or even drown if water is involved) smaller hens especially if they gang breed the hens.

We limit their pool to only about 4" deep and only during hot weather so most breeding takes place on dry land. I will keep this in mind though when they get their new home for sure.

Well...we currently are watching this first hand. Bigger drakes tend to stand on the smaller ducks longer and they hold the feathers almost between the ducks eyes which is scary because they can injure the ducks eyes. They do not align right, so they take extra long to breed which rips out more feathers and squashes the duck for a lengthy time. When they gang up on a duck it is miserable for the duck. So, my suggestion, do not put heavy ducks with bantam or light weight.

We are still in the process of separating thanks to our long lasting winter, meanwhile it does not stop the breeding season.
Best of luck.

Well...we currently are watching this first hand. Bigger drakes tend to stand on the smaller ducks longer and they hold the feathers almost between the ducks eyes which is scary because they can injure the ducks eyes. They do not align right, so they take extra long to breed which rips out more feathers and squashes the duck for a lengthy time. When they gang up on a duck it is miserable for the duck. So, my suggestion, do not put heavy ducks with bantam or light weight.

We are still in the process of separating thanks to our long lasting winter, meanwhile it does not stop the breeding season.
Best of luck.

That's what I was thinking might happen. We're going to try to separate them if at all possible keeping the Mallard drakes with their current ladies which are also Mallards along with Cayuga's and Swedish's. Then the new one's can just stay together-just hoping we don't have too mane drakes in there. They're still too young to know for sure but I think we have 3 and 3 in that batch. I'm hoping that's not too much for the girls.

In our current flock I've noticed it takes the boys much longer to accomplish business when breed the larger girls as well. But the girls probably take it better since they're more than twice the boys size.

Back
Top Bottom