Mixed flock rejecting one chicken

katherinejelly

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2017
Williamstown, MA
I have eight 6-month-old pullet/hens, each a different breed (5 standard, 3 bantam). I got them all at the same time, as day-old chicks, and they all seemed to get along beautifully until about a month ago. I've noticed that the smallest, a bantam D'Uccle, is often standing by herself near the coop while the rest of the flock go about their business, adventuring and foraging around the yard. When they are all together, the others don't pick on her or hurt her. But she cries when she gets left behind (can't run as quickly as the others or doesn't want to go where they go) and I feel so sad!

I'm not sure what's happening! Any thoughts?

Since you have not noticed the rest of the flock picking on her, I would be concerned that she is dealing with a health issue. Have you handled her to determine condition or the possibility of an injury ?
Yes; she seems to be healthy and was not in pain when I handled her. And she is eating and drinking and eliminating normally. I'll keep checking on her... Thanks.

:barnie
If it's not broke...Don't fix it..If she is happy in the flock then all is good..People put human emotions on Chickens..:gig..They have zero thoughts or feeling like humans..Run on instinct..:thumbsup

I agree. A few of mine were a little slow foraging with the others. She'll get it. Or like others said, get a few more.

I'm going to say something and op please don't take offense. Your little chicken maybe a little bit daft as well as a little sight challenged. I have a hen that is similar, i know she can't see that great "cheek puffs" and she's a tad off. If the flock wanders away she doesn't even try to follow, she just cries. I expected it due to her breed, but I'm pretty sure it is something that could apply to any slightly mentally different chicken. :)

:barnie
If it's not broke...Don't fix it..If she is happy in the flock then all is good..People put human emotions on Chickens..:gig..They have zero thoughts or feeling like humans..Run on instinct..:thumbsup

Birds as an animal group are naturally very intelligent. New studies have found chickens to be intelligent and emotional beings, capable of reasoning, self control, deception, empathy, basic arithmatic, and the ability to learn through observation. They have been found to display a wide range of emotions, and communicate using a wide variety of vocalisations. It just makes us feel better to think of them as senseless 'animals'.
http://cody.passle.net/post/102dx0a...have-emotions-we-cant-deny-the-wealth-of-data

Back
Top Bottom