Mixed flock, what to feed?

CountryFried

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
SE AL
I have at least one laying, 4-6 that should start laying soon (they are 20 weeks), and then about 25 that are 8 weeks. The only feed I can get is a medicated starter/grower, scratch, or a layer mix or layer pellets. I prefer not to have my layers eating medicated, as we'd like to start eating the eggs. What is my best option? I can't afford to feed Flock Raiser, as it isn't available locally, and it would be cost-prohibitive to order it online and have it shipped. Thoughts?

I wouldn't feed non layers laying feed. Too bad you can't get Flock Raiser thats what I would suggest with oyster shell on the side, I am not sure what the alternative would be for you sorry. If you feed young birds layer they could develop problems with their bones since it's high in calcium for egg development.

so you have 6 or so older birds and then 25 young birds... i'd go with majority rules and just feed 'em chick grower. I've never heard anyone dying from eating an egg from medicated chick starter.... who knows.

When my hens are raising their brood everyone including my ducks and goose has to eat chick starter and flock raiser, their all together so it has to be that way. Haven't lost a one yet and their all healthy.

So there is no concern with eating eggs from chickens on a medicated feed? And what about eating the chickens? Sorry, I swear I read somewhere not to eat the eggs or meat from a chicken on medicated feed, so I just want to double check. I'm still checking around my area for alternative sources of feed. I did find Flock Raiser and a similar mix at TS, it runs about $6 a bag more than what I buy at the feed store, but if I have to go that route, I will.

I'm in the same boat. Finally found 25 pound bags of unmedicated grower at the grocery store so I'm feeding that. The flock raise of course is ideal. It doesn't bother me a bit to eat eggs right after dosing them with Eprinex. So I get wormed a little, so what. But I don't like the idea of having my thiamine uptake messed with.

I guess you could feed game bird feed if it's unmedicated. Surely they sell game bird feed, and I would think something for meat birds as well. Maybe it just never occurred to them that someone might feed game or meat feed to layers.

Quote:
Perhaps if you talked with your feed store, explained your situation, they would start stocking an appropriate feed. I would think you are not the only one with this problem.

I feed 'Start & Grow' (which is 18% medicated crumble) to my biddies in the brooder.........when I move them outside to the coop I start feeding them 'Chick-Grow-Lay' (non-medicated 22% crumble) and start introducing the lay pellet (16%) as the girls start laying.

I prefer not to eat eggs from chickens that are eating medicated feed. Talk to your feed store, local FFA or 4H groups about this, they will be able to give you information.

I talked to a local mill, they don't do custom orders, but what the lady said she does for her flock is mixes corn chops and layer crumbles 50/50 and feeds that to her whole flock. I've talked to the feed stores I go to til I'm blue int he face, they INSIST that they all feed medicated starter/grower until they start laying and then switch to layer. There are no in-betweens, and all the feed stores stock from the local mills. I'm trying to track down more of the mills to see what they have and whether they will do custom orders but I've had no luck so far. Short term, I could do TSC, but long term, a $6 a bag difference is going to really add up.

ETA: I doubt that anyone in the area puts any thought into what they are feeding, I'm in the country, everyone has chickens pretty much, and most people just feed them corn.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom