Mixed flock

shepherd

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
I have 46 chickens. 20 of them are mixed with who knows how many diferent breeds. 24 of them are 5 month olds that are pure breeds of Road Island Red, Plymouth rock, Black Jersey Jiants, and some of what think are White Leghorns. Most of my pure breed chickens are roosters. I think have one hen out of all 24 I bought.

All need is 1 or 2 roosters maybe three. All the rest of the roosters are going in the freezer.
My question for you is what breed/breeds of rooster should i keep out of the 4 breeds.

I like the Road Islands and the Black Jersey Jiants, but i dont know about the other two.

All I want to know is your opinion on my situation.

Thanks,
Shepherd

welcome-byc.gif

I think i would send the RIR To freezer camp. In General they can be really mean to the hens and to humans. Jersey Giants tend to be friendly or scardy cats. They also take longer to mature, so the RIR meat would be better compared to the giants.

Quote:
Wow, and I thought *I* had horrible luck with roosters, having five in a flock of 24. All but one - the head roo, Carl - are bantam breeds. (One is still a six week old chick, hardly counts.)

I'm having trouble thinking about re-homing two of my bantam roosters. But, given your situation and if I were you and could send anybody to Freezer Camp, I think I'd keep the Jersey Giant roo.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom