Mixed heritage and birds with dubious parentage thread. (mutts)

Day 22 and no pipping, peeping or moving eggs. :( I have been checking the temp a lot (without opening it), and there was a 2-hour period where it spiked to 102 on Saturday. I think a very small, well-meaning person had something to do with it. >sigh<

Part of me is glad they were "only" a test run of "barnyard mixed", but I've really begun to look forward to seeing how the mixes turned out with the different feather patterns and such.

I did learn a lot from this attempted hatch, though, so I will try it again. And I've read not to give up until Day 23, but isn't that usually when other eggs have pipped back on Day 21?

One silkie is working real hard hatching a clutch of golf balls, and a BO is sitting but still flaky. I think I will try putting some eggs under them, too.

I have a pip! And some sporadic chirping!

Trying not to get excited...
Woohoo!!!! Now you're cooking. Good luck. I have about 6-7 mutts in my 'bator now. Out of 40. The others are Black Australorps and White Rocks. These are a mixture of a white rock rooster and the smaller Super Blue egg layers. They are huge compared to other eggs. Wonder what I'll get. Day 12 or so. I forgot to write it down.

Just the one! It is an olive egger, BCM roo over an EE hen. Letting him dry off in the incubator overnight to see if his peeping will rouse anyone else.

Anyone ever raised a solitary chick?

I'm collecting hatching eggs to try again once I'm sure the rest won't hatch.

Back
Top Bottom