Mixed or Pure flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ashley80, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Ashley80

Ashley80 Out Of The Brooder

I'm sure there must be other posts about this but I havent been able to find anything.

We're almost ready to stock our coop and I'm wondering if it is better to keep a single breed or a mixture? I'd like Australorp's and/or EE's and/or Rhode Island Red's.

The coop is big enough to house ten in total, but we're planning to buy 3 now and add to the flock 2 at a time as the older birds slow down laying (I'm too much of a softie to use them for meat after they finish laying).

My main concern is for a peacful flock.

Thanks

Ashley

2. chickens asome

chickens asome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    kenora ontairo canada
    i have mixed my flock up i have red rock rohisland reds leghorns clounmian rock and black talied buff japanes and nakins but i am goining to get a single breed flock or n new barn were i can hve a bunch of breeds with out crossig them

3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    I have a Australorp, Buff Orp & Barred Rock now and I am adding a Barnvelder & Speckled Sussex this year. The 3 now get along just fine. We will see what happens when I have to introduce the 2 new pullets.......

4. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mixing breeds won't affect how peaceful your flock is...I have 7 different breeds (including large size and bantam) and they all get along great! I like having the variety...I'm easily bored...LOL.

Mixing different ages will probably be the harder part. You'll have to read about adding pullets to your flock. I can't give you specific advice because I haven't done it myself, mine have all beed raised together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by