Mixed the NEW with the OLD today!

rocmoc

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Well, mixed the new chicks, that are from 2/3 to 3/4 the size of the older chickens, together this morning with the nearly 9 month old chickens. They have been living side by side of over 3 weeks. I build a coop & secure run within the existing coop & run so they have had plenty of time, 24/7, to get use to each other. There are 12 hens in the older crowd & there are 10 hens & 2 roos in the new crowd, even match on numbers old to new. I put out extra scratch this morning & some watermelons from the garden, they all love watermelon. So far in the first hour, nothing! Hopefully it remains that way but will keep a close eye on them today. The two roos are really protective of their girls and not afraid to show it. They did puff-up a couple of times but that is it.

rocmoc n AZ

We spent alot of time socializing our older hens and our pullets before we finally combined. It was worth it - and we've never had any trouble.

Peaceful integration is a wonderful thing.

It has now been 4 hours and you would think they have always been together. Both are in each others area of the coop, the new babies are roosting in the big girls area. So Far So Good, SFSG! I must have the Chickens From Heaven, CFH. LOL! To top everything off, 12 eggs yesterday from 12 hens and I already have 11 for the day, one late layer.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Good job!! It's so worth it to go slowly.

My 16 8 week olds and my 2 18 month old big girls have been totally integrated for 1 week now. Thought all was well; then yesterday, when it was pouring rain, my dominant old hen refused to let 5 or 6 of the little gals in the house. Fortunately, my husband was home and heard their pittiful little peeps. He grabbed "Sam" and put her in time out in the segregation/brooder!! She had to stay there all day. She has since been behaving much better. I really hope that was the last of it. The babies have been in the brooder (which is in the henhouse) since they were 2 weeks old. So lots of seeing and not touching. When I first put them together in the run, we sat outside watching for almost 3 days straight. If "sam" got too aggresive, she got the hose! Then, last Saturday night, I left the door to the brooder box open. I am hoping that all my patience has worked out. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!
fl.gif

big_smile.png
24 hours and all is well. Each group slept in its own area of the coop and was waiting to go outside this morning. Still using both doors but will leave the chick door closed in a couple more days.

I am lucky that when I built the outside run there are two section. A highly secure area that is covered with a solid roof so they can be outside when it is raining. The other area is large and just covered with chicken wire. Thus far everything is good! Sure makes it easier to take care of everyone.

rocmoc n AZ:cool:

After 3 days, no problem with the mixing. We even let them out with the older girls to free range yesterday. Unfortunately, a coyote got another of the red stars, only 3 left. But the new chicks did great. Everyone is now sharing the entire coop & run. I removed the temp walls and opened everything back up for easier feeding, egg collecting & cleaning. One surprise is the young roo has stopped crowing. He trying to bluff the big girls but they put him in his place for now. The young ones are so happy to be able to run and fly in the big run. Everything is good for now but they aren't allowed to free range for a while. 3 lost to the coyotes in 4 months.

rocmoc n AZ

Quote:
I'm glad the integration is going so well for you. The first time I tried it I went to fast, lesson learned and didn't have any (well any major) problems the next time.

Sorry to hear about your coyote problem, I've had one hanging around for the last week or so, but he's not anymore.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom