mixing 1 week olds with 1 day olds, and marking chicks (pics page 2)

jmorriso

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
I've got about 7 eggs that are due to hatch on the 24th, and I just ordered 35 of the straight run surprise special chicks from ideal, they are hatching on the 19th and being shipped that day. So would it be ok to put in my hatchers with the older chicks from ideal. I plan on giving them a day or so transition into the new world before tossing them in. Also, if that is ok, then is there a good way to mark my chicks so I can recognize them? They are mutts and I'm going to be giving away some of the idea chicks after a week or so to some kids to show in the county fair and I don't want them to get one of my mutts on accident.

Last edited:
I've mixed chicks as much as three weeks' difference in ages, without problems.

About marking chicks, maybe zip ties on their legs? Keep an eye on how fast the little babies grow, though, so the zip ties don't get too tight.

Zip ties are probably your best bet- I have tried food coloring on their head, sharpie on their toes, even nail polish on toenails (that chick was chic for about two days) - they all come off within a few days.

Please forgive my momentary hijacking of this thread.

Chezpoulet, I just had to share the sign I had made for my main coop.
41679_chezpoulet.jpg

Thank you. You may resume your normal programming. Sorry for the side-step.

Gryeyes, I must say your sign looks great!
My 10 year old designed our coop sign, and I am not too inventive when it comes to avatars. Maybe I should rename myself Chez Poulet jr or something;)

Sorry, no more on coop signs. I found these junior sized leg bands at our local farm store, and they fit chicks from about 6 weeks on - a little loose, (8 cents each), but we have a pair of Welsummers and a pair of Australorps that we want to be able to tell apart since my kids have named them all...

I was wondering the same thing...how to tell them apart if they look similar. Zipties sound great but how do you get them off? Id be afraid to try to cut them off....

I use a small pair of garden snips to get the zip ties off the chickens legs for changing. I used to use the small wire cutters, but the blade is pretty thick. The garden snips work great- thin blades, narrow tips, they get under the tie and snip it really quickly. Fingernail clippers would work really well, too, I bet. Good suggestion. Next time I need to change 'em and I can't find the snips becsause I didn't put them back where they belong (
hu.gif
) I'll try that!

Thanks for all the suggestions. My eggs go in lock down on Friday and my chicks should arrive that day too. I'm a little nervous. I'm in NW Arkansas and ideal is in Texas so its not a huge trip. When I placed my order it was 55 degrees, but snow is on the way for tomorrow so when the chicks get here it will be around 18 degrees with 6 or so inches on the ground. I hope they survive the trip!

Back
Top Bottom