Mixing 2 different types of feed bags together save money?

SquirrelGirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 9, 2009
I buy Purina Layenas pellets for my chickens. I plan on having about 150 chickens though!! So I am trying to come up with the cheapest most effecient way to feed them.. but still get eggs.

If I mixed a bag of layers pellets with 2 bags of plain ol scratch, would that give them enough nutrition to still lay eggs? Im really bad at math guys so please try to simplify lol

Oh and they are buff orpingtons

Quote:
Simple answer = NO.

The dilution of the Lysine, Methionine, and other Essential Amino acids coupled with the imbalance of energy:Amino Acids and the decrease in available phosphorus consumed by the hens will decrease egg production and probably result in fat hens.

Jim

Off the top of my head, I would think 2 parts scratch to one part 'real food' would make them FAR too fat, and thus stop egg production quite dramatically. That would also mess up the protien levels. They would also probably eat all the scratch first, leaving you with a clean feeder full of Layena.
tongue.png

Wait for an expert to post, then pick their brains.

Can your local feed mill/store give you a discount if you buy in bulk? Ask your local poultry 4-H club when the big sales are on- in my area, it's half off all feed!
I know what you mean about feed costs, because we have varying amounts of meat birds cycling in and out every fall, and BOY do they eat a couple hundred bags! Good luck with your Orps!!

OH- can you do a supervised free range every day so they can get out and devour your lawn? Sve all your veggie scraps- ask for produce they were going to throw out anyway at the grocery store. This is good for the chickens and your wallet too!

Thanks guys! Im glad I did not go out and buy them before I asked you. Would have been a big waste. Looks like I will have to stick strictly to the layers pellets.

Good idea on asking the grocery stores for left over veggies etc!

The other problem with this plan is that scratch is like candy for them - they love it. Layer pellets are the essential nutrients they need. If you mixed the two, they would simply pick out the scratch similar to how a 2-year-old, given a bowl of broccoli with M&M's mixed in would just pick out the M&Ms.

Back
Top Bottom