Mixing 2 Flocks???

wheatnroses

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Hello to all, I am looking for some help & advise on if and/or I can mix flocks. You all are such a comfort to people like me who are new and have a lot to learn. Here is my problem, a while back I removed a Buff Orp hen to doctor her leg, a few days later I returned her to the flock, when I checked on her later that day the others had killed her. Needless to say I was JUST SICK. Since then I have always been afraid to put any chicken into the established flock for any reason, if I have anything to do with one it is done right there on flock site. I have chicks from a 2008 flock and 2009 chicks that I ordered but I have always kept them apart. I even put a fence down the middle of the coop so none of my girls got hurt. It would be more convenient and comfortable for the girls if they could be one flock but I am sooooooo apprehensive and nervous. Can anyone tell me if there is a safe way to combine the two flocks or should I leave them apart ????? There is 11 hens in one group and 17 in the other. Any help and or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

We have put different groups together after they have viewed each other for several weeks from pens that are divided so they can see and be right next to but not touch. All our birds have also been 6 months old or less. I have heared from others if you give them enough room with some hiding places for birds and enough access to food and water you can get them to mix. Of course the younger the birds the easier it is. Hope this helps some and maybe someone else will have better suggestions.

You should be able to mix them without to many problems...just make sure that the younger ones are about the same size as the older ones. Then as was said before, pen them so they can see each other but not get to one another. Give them time....maybe 2 weeks or more. Before you turn them all together, introduce one or two and see what happens. You don't want to be trying separate the entire bunch.
Also, be aware that the roosters will fight to gain their pecking order no matter how long they have been together. And the hens might do a little pecking at first...they have to establish a pecking order also, but after they get that worked out they should be fine. Just mix them when you can watch for awhile.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom