mixing ameraucanas?

So what some of you are saying is that if I cross a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana over a Black Ameraucana then there offspring are EE's even though the offspring would be two (2) recognized colors.
How about if I cross a Wheaten Ameraucana over a Black Ameraucana, are there offspring EE's even though they are Black?

Just so that you know they are STILL a Ameraucana.

Chris

straight off of the breeds club page:

The Ameraucana Breeders Club defines an Easter Egg chicken or Easter Egger as any chicken that possesses the blue egg gene, but doesn’t fully meet any breed descriptions as defined in the APA and/or ABA standards. Further, even if a bird meets an Ameraucana standard breed description, but doesn’t meet a variety description or breed true at least 50% of the time it is considered an Easter Egg chicken.

straight off of the breeds club page:

The Ameraucana Breeders Club defines an Easter Egg chicken or Easter Egger as any chicken that possesses the blue egg gene, but doesn’t fully meet any breed descriptions as defined in the APA and/or ABA standards. Further, even if a bird meets an Ameraucana standard breed description, but doesn’t meet a variety description or breed true at least 50% of the time it is considered an Easter Egg chicken.
But some variety can be crossed and still breed "true" by the Ameraucana Breeders Club's definition.
Example -
Blue Ameraucana over a Black Ameraucan[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]a will produce chicks that are both Blue and Black and that is no different than breeding a Blue Ameraucana over a Blue Ameraucana which produces Splash, Black and Blue or breeding a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana over a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana which produces Splash, Blue Wheaten and Wheaten.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Now if we want to get technical neither Blue or Blue Wheaten really breeds true.
Varieties like Black, Brown Red and White will breed true.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chris[/FONT]

Last edited:
WOW so that means that the standard thinks of any non uniform ameraucana as an EE! What if an easter egger conforms to the ameraucana standard, ans so do the offspring?is it then considered aan ameraucana, even though it has mixed lineage?

WOW so that means that the standard thinks of any non uniform ameraucana as an EE! What if an easter egger conforms to the ameraucana standard, ans so do the offspring?is it then considered aan ameraucana, even though it has mixed lineage?
Not the APA Standard.

Chris

As do all the other breeds/varieties. There's nothing different about Ameraucanas. As I said previously there would not be all the different varieties in any breed were it not for people crossing varieties to create them.
BTW: you're wrong- I have no idea what you mean by "more of a standard than a breed".
I am not wrong. You said yourself you had no idea what I meant so ??? It was just a figure of speech.
look at the ameraucana thread if it does not conform to a specific color or pattern they all call it a easter egger. Aka it was just a joke...

So what some of you are saying is that if I cross a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana over a Black Ameraucana then there offspring are EE's even though the offspring would be two (2) recognized colors.
How about if I cross a Wheaten Ameraucana over a Black Ameraucana, are there offspring EE's even though they are Black?

Chris
what if they throw chicks with leakage ? I see what you are saying but you should not sell them as pure black Ameraucana ( or shouldnt)
you could say the rooster was a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana and the Hen was a Black Ameraucana .

Personally I see what you are saying. if they both come from Ameraucana's then they should be Ameraucana's but that is not what seems to be the case if you ask the Ameraucana thread just my opinion

Chris

Apparently there can never be any more varieties of Ameraucana than there are right now. Nobody has explained why this doesn't apply to other breeds though.

Last edited:
Apparently there can never be any more varieties of Ameraucana than there are right now. Nobody has explained why this doesn't apply to other breeds though.

This is such a difficult subject to tackle. What I think it boils down to is hatcheries are misrepresenting there birds, and people are ripping off other people. They are being lied to that there birds are "pure". Ameraucanas have a standard just like every other breed. The difference is, there is an outlet for birds that don't meet the standard. There is demand for different colors of eggs. There are people myself included that spend a lot of time, and energy breeding our birds to standard. There is also a AOV class at shows for these purposes. Breed whatever colors you want together, and stick them in the AOV class. The difference is if you breed an Ameraucana with a............Marans, that's an EE or OE whatever you want to call it. I have EE, and Ameraucanas. I love them both. I will tell you that all my EE are blue, black, splash, or silver laced. I do that on purpose for myself and anyone else who wants a non-leakage EE. Anyways, this could go on forever. I am not arguing, I can see the 360 degrees of the argument. Just giving some talking points. I have been known on the Ameraucana thread to tell people to stop being the EE police. It is very disconcerting to newbies. Who wants to breed a chicken that you can't figure out???

Back
Top Bottom