mixing bantam/standard eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickmashnoon, Nov 14, 2011.

1. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm new to incubating and I'm going to do a test batch in my hover-bator of my own barnyard mix eggs in the next month but I would like to set some eggs in feburary. They will be serama and LaFleche. Is there a problem mixing egg sizes in the same hatch?

2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Shouldnt be an issue. Ive done LF and bantams all in the same hatch. Mixing chickens and other species of birds is where youve got to be careful.

3. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Some books discuss the smaller eggs as hatching faster at the normal settings for standard eggs because of surface area ratio. I have no idea if this is true, my serama egg died. [​IMG]

4. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I'm bad and have done staggered hatching this whole time with mixed species & sizes with no problem. Well except when my 2 turkey poults hatched they knocked into the other eggs terribly. [​IMG]

Ducks, turkeys, chickens, bantam cochins, and average sized hen/bantam roo mixes all at the same time...no issues. Right now I have Indian Runner ducks hatching with incubating muscovy eggs, naked neck eggs, bantam/average mixes (but my girls lay some smallish eggs, not as small as bantam though), and some other type of duck is in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by