1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Mixing Bantams with Standard

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by parrillofarms, Jan 7, 2010.

1. parrillofarms

parrillofarms In the Brooder

Dec 11, 2009
    vermont, il
    Does anyone have any comments on mixing Bantams with Standard breeds? i was just offered a Japanese Bantam rooster for free but i have 36 Standards. I am afraid it will get beat up. its a pretty small rooster so should i worry about breeding?

2. solarquail

solarquail Songster

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    i have a partridge cochin and 3 standard roosters in with my turken hens and the little banty kicks theyre BUTT

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  3. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Songster

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    I have a Lavender Cochin Bantam ("Lil Roo") that was given to us. This is "his" ranch! I don't have the proper number of roos to hens 2 free range roos with 160+ free range hens/pullets, those 2 roos are too busy to fight, my other roo is a BO (pic of the week not long ago). My other roos are in breeding pens.

4. silkydragon

silkydragon Songster

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    the banty roos are usually meaner then there standard counterparts i have 5roosters 3standards and 2bantys and my ee roo is in lockdown till the snow melts cuz he was getting mean being cramped in the coop with the other roos i had the door open just chickens where terrified of the snow and it formed like a barrier lol my sebright hen actually uses flying as primary mode of transpertation with the snow actually pretty agile for a chicken in the air

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by