Mixing Bantams with Standards

Chickety Charcoal

Songster
11 Years
Jul 11, 2011
Westchester County, NY
I currently have 5 standard-sized hens as an established flock. I am thinking of adding some bantams and other standard-sized hens of breeds I don't currently have. Can bantams live peacefully with the bigger girls or am I asking for trouble?

Bantams can co exist with full size birds and do quite well when raised together. Introducing bantams to an established flock of larger birds is fraught with problems. Given enough space and hiding places that are not accessible to the larger birds, introduction to an established flock may be possible, but be prepared for the possibility of problems.

I have a small flock, and have generally added 2-3 young birds at a time. I had a broody hens hatch out some mixed eggs, and the ones I kept were all bantams (the 2 full sized chicks were male and rehomed). In my flock, the older hens are the bosses of the younger hens. This includes the bantams, who are now laying age and higher ranking than the black copper marans pullets that are larger than they are. My rooster is a bantam too. Of course, I also have a rabbit in with them, so it's a nutty crew.
tongue.png
Everyone (except those raised by broody hens) are introduced slowly, in smaller enclosures within the run, and I've also made sure there are plenty of places for chicks (or a rabbit!) to duck out of the way of the older hens.

With time and enough space, everyone gets used to each other. I've never tried introducing a grown chicken to my flock, just babies.

Back
Top Bottom