Mixing breeds?

auntbee

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 14, 2008
We are getting our first baby chicks this week! We want 4, and I love the buff orpingtons. The farm we are going to has Buff Orpingtons, Ameraucana, Rhode Island Reds, White Plymouth Rock, Barred Plymouth Rock, Golden Sex Link, Ancona, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex, and Buff Orpington/Araucanas mixes. My husband wants to get 2 different breeds, but with only 4 chicks is that ok? Which 2 would be the best to mix? Thank you!

Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpingtons, White or Barred Plymouth Rocks: I would go with these. They in my limited experience are all pretty tame birds. But, I would get way more than 4 chickens.
lol.png

I like to get 2 of each kind. The prettiest I think would be the Speckled Sussex and the Buff Orpingtons. The Rocks and the Sex links might lay a few more eggs. People like the Wyandottes, and they are pretty, but I have had bad luck with some nasty ones. But a lot of people say they are very tame.

I would definitely stay away from Anconas, RIRs and Ameraucanas for personality wise. I dont think they are so nice and might beat up on the other ones and not warm up to you either. MY OPINION ONLY

ETA: I think the RIR hens are nice though, just not the roos

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom