Mixing Call Ducks with Khaki Campbells

LauraL3

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Hudson NH
I was thinking of getting a pair of Call ducks, but BEFORE I do, I wanted opinions on if people think it'll work.

I have one Khaki drake & 3 ducks: khaki, rouen & pekin, who are very gentle. The drake is definitely in charge of his ducks.

I'd love to also get a pair of call ducks, but don't know if introducing some smaller ducks will just be a major problem.

Any thoughts?

I"d be hesitant because you've got the drake, as ducks not sure would depend on personalities. I have some calls but won't be putting them with my Muscovy, their too big plus i have drakes no way am i trusting them with a duck that petite.

Well, thanks people. You all confirmed what I probably already knew. Was just hoping there was a "trick" to make it all work. Blarg. I just LOVE those little ducks! Maybe someday... :)

Well, thanks people. You all confirmed what I probably already knew. Was just hoping there was a "trick" to make it all work. Blarg. I just LOVE those little ducks! Maybe someday... :)

Why not just make a separate area for them? that is what i am doing with mine! yes, yes, i am an enabler!
big_smile.png

I mixed a pekin female with a pair of calls...she was a gentle giant tho, and she didn't try to mate! I'd be most worried about the drake trying to mate them and accidentally killing one. Build a separate area! They are worth it!! So much personality wrapped up into a adorably tiny li'l package of duckiness! :)

I have an male call duck who is love with my female Muscovy, as well as and buff(pure), call/ malred mix and an male malred .They all get along for me. the only problem is the male call duck thinks he is so tough he starts fights with my guinea fowl and bites my beagle . I would tell you to buy what ever ducks you want for your pack.

This reply is a few years too late but thought I would answer.

I have 2 little Call ducks and a Khaki Cambell drake, they now have 9 ducklings my call hatched.(see attached photo)

I hatched 2 in a small incubator 6 weeks ago, these 2 became quite attached to the duck sitting on the eggs, I found them in the nesting box a few days before the nine hatched.

I know it's many years too late for a reply but maybe someone like me will come along and like my info. I have a flock of musgovys in every color imaginable. I had a pair of call ducks that I allowed into out flock to try. The female call duck was caught by an eagle not too long after arrival. After her death the little male just started hanging out With the rest of the musgovy flock. I never had any problem with him or my big musgovy male's. He does breed my female musgovys and while the musgovy male's would normally fight another male off they just watch him With little reguard. All of my ducks are free ranged and are in full flight status so that may make a difference. But that has been my experience with mixing breeds.

Back
Top Bottom