1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixing Call Ducks with Khaki Campbells

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LauraL3, May 10, 2013.

1. LauraL3

LauraL3 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    Hudson NH
    I was thinking of getting a pair of Call ducks, but BEFORE I do, I wanted opinions on if people think it'll work.

I have one Khaki drake & 3 ducks: khaki, rouen & pekin, who are very gentle. The drake is definitely in charge of his ducks.

I'd love to also get a pair of call ducks, but don't know if introducing some smaller ducks will just be a major problem.

Any thoughts?

2. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    It may work out but likely won't. Call ducks are too little to mix well with anything that will try to mate with them.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I"d be hesitant because you've got the drake, as ducks not sure would depend on personalities. I have some calls but won't be putting them with my Muscovy, their too big plus i have drakes no way am i trusting them with a duck that petite.

4. LauraL3

LauraL3 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    Hudson NH
    Well, thanks people. You all confirmed what I probably already knew. Was just hoping there was a "trick" to make it all work. Blarg. I just LOVE those little ducks! Maybe someday... :)

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Why not just make a separate area for them? that is what i am doing with mine! yes, yes, i am an enabler! [​IMG]

6. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

I mixed a pekin female with a pair of calls...she was a gentle giant tho, and she didn't try to mate! I'd be most worried about the drake trying to mate them and accidentally killing one. Build a separate area! They are worth it!! So much personality wrapped up into a adorably tiny li'l package of duckiness! :)

7. howlinghound

howlinghound New Egg

Nov 20, 2013
    I have an male call duck who is love with my female Muscovy, as well as and buff(pure), call/ malred mix and an male malred .They all get along for me. the only problem is the male call duck thinks he is so tough he starts fights with my guinea fowl and bites my beagle . I would tell you to buy what ever ducks you want for your pack.

8. sprinter

sprinter New Egg

Mar 20, 2014
    This reply is a few years too late but thought I would answer.

I have 2 little Call ducks and a Khaki Cambell drake, they now have 9 ducklings my call hatched.(see attached photo)

I hatched 2 in a small incubator 6 weeks ago, these 2 became quite attached to the duck sitting on the eggs, I found them in the nesting box a few days before the nine hatched.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Boopsbarnyard

Boopsbarnyard New Egg

Jan 1, 2015
    I know it's many years too late for a reply but maybe someone like me will come along and like my info. I have a flock of musgovys in every color imaginable. I had a pair of call ducks that I allowed into out flock to try. The female call duck was caught by an eagle not too long after arrival. After her death the little male just started hanging out With the rest of the musgovy flock. I never had any problem with him or my big musgovy male's. He does breed my female musgovys and while the musgovy male's would normally fight another male off they just watch him With little reguard. All of my ducks are free ranged and are in full flight status so that may make a difference. But that has been my experience with mixing breeds.

10. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    It's Muscovy*

And I really don't recommend letting calls free range it's better to get them an aviary and if they do have to free range at least have enough cover to hide

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by