1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mixing chick sources

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LadyLuck, Mar 20, 2012.

1. LadyLuck

LadyLuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    If I get chicks from a few different places can I put them in the same brooder as long as they are approximately the same age? For example, I'd like a mixed flock so I plan to get some $2 "common" type peeps from one breeder and a few easter eggers $5+ from another breeder. If they've all been vaccinated is this ok?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It should be fine. Even vaccination is optional. I've read here several times from good sources that you can mix chicks of different ages as long as they are under a month.

Not that there won't be any squabbling, just that that can happen if they hatch next to each other, as well. You can't guarantee no disease, but hopefully you will know your sources and see healthy stock, to reduce the chances.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I have two sets of TSC chicks two weeks apart. I separated the day-olds because the 2wk-olds are already so big they were walking on the babies. But, they are only separated by a piece of hardware cloth and will be back together as soon as the little ones get a little more active.

4. LadyLuck

LadyLuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    great, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by