Mixing chickens with quails

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bigfatchicken, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Bigfatchicken

Bigfatchicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    sarasota, Florida
    Is it possible to mix quails with chickens, if they have area to live inside the coop like a small home or box. Has anyone done this and has success or experience.

2. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Some wild quail found their way into the chicken run while the chickens were loose in the yard. When the chickens happened upon them (they saw me in the run and ran to see if there were treats), they chased the little quail with murder in their eyes. If we hadn't have gotten the quail out, I am positive they would have been goners.

My chickens are standard sized. They see anything smaller than they are and want to eat it. Maybe your chickens are nicer?

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Quail will not stay home. Unless you have a very tight pen and no escape through coop windows they will be gone. You might see them around the yard for awhile. With a large enough pen to also house chickens you will never catch them and you will probably never find their eggs except to maybe step on one accidentally so it's rather pointless. It's also quite likely that chickens would beat up quail. Then there is a slight disease concern. Chickens can carry a few things that quail are sensitive to although I keep mine in a pen in the coop with the chickens. They aren't loose though for the other reasons I mentioned.

4. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Second, chickens are meanies to quail; heck, other quail are mean to quail. They are the bottom of the Poultry Food Chain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by