Mixing Chickens

BYegger4fun

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 17, 2014
Gainesville, Florida
We recently bought 8 hens, only to find one was a rooster! My silly question, or not, is simple. The rooster is a Dominique. We also have two female Dominique's, two Black Australorp's and three Ameraucana's. Will the rooster mate with all breeds? Will the chicks turn out mixed breeds or will they keep their same breed?
Thanks!
Mark

Hello Mark and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, the rooster will mate with all of them. The chicks from the different breeds will be mixed breeds. Mutts. LOL Lots of us have mutts for chickens. Ha!

Enjoy your new flock! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Thanks! I'm not sure if we'll keep the rooster...we live in a quiet subdivision and roosters aren't allowed. Just wanted to know. Thanks again, as I try and navigate through all the new stuff. I may have posted on the wrong page! Still trying to update my new membership "about". Having a little difficulty but will somehow get through it.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yup you'll be getting mixed breed chicks.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Yes, BYC can be a bit daunting at first, especially if you are on a mobile. But you will get the hang of it eventually. :)

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X4, you'll be getting some mixed breed chicks, the chicks from the Dom hens will be pure Doms, the chicks from the Australorp hens will be mixes, the chicks from the Ameraucana/Easter Eggers will actually be what most people call Easter Eggers also, if the mothers lay green/blue colored eggs the pullets out of that cross have at least a 50% chance of laying green also.

Welcome to BYC, Mark! Glad you decided to join our flock. What the other members have told you is right on. The only pure breeds you will get are those from the Dominique hens. They will be Dominique chicks, the others will all be mixed breeds. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

If you wanted to set up a breeding pen for purebreds you could put the Dominique hens in with your Dominique rooster for a week or so. The fertile eggs would produce pure Dominiques that you could sell as such.

Back
Top Bottom