Mixing chickens

ashleyh84

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
I have a question about mixing chickens. I bought 5 Leghorns and a Bantam last week. A couple of days ago I bought 3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Wyandotte's. I mixed them together without a problem. Now the first six I had are popping feathers and the younger ones are still...young. Should I be separating them? I have them all under the light but am wondering if the bigger ones should be out of there. They are still hanging out under the light, even given the choice to go to the cooler end. I'm not sure how they will coexist when I put them back together and they are older. Any advice would be great. Also, what does the nighttime temp have to be for them to go out. I've been away from new chicks for too long.

Oh definitely keep them all together. By separating them you would create two groups and they might not get along so well, being put together after a period of separation.

Just make sure they have space to get away from the heat and it sounds like you have done that.

Here is temperature information:
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

Unless I am brooding them in wintertime and it is brutally cold outside, I turn the heat lamp off when they are fully feathered, even on the head - usually at 6 weeks of age. If it is winter I give them at least a couple or few more weeks on heat.

As a genera rule, chicks under 30 days old can be of dfferent ages and be mixed. Of course, chickens didn't read the book -- there may be exceptions.

The usual guideline is around 90F in the brooder the first week, then 5Fless each week for about 4 weeks, then remove the light. Then start taking them for short outdoor outings if you haven't already. 6 weeks is the average age to go outdoors without added warmts. If you brood outdoors, though, you will find they get accustomed to lower temps a lot faster than that, and may even avoid a heat lamp at 3 weeks with nighttime temps in the 50's or so. Mostly, it's best to go by how they act, whether they seem chilly or too warm. Of the two, It's probably better for a healthy chick to be a little cool than a little warm.

Please check out our learning Center, above, for basic info.

Keep them together, I have two sets of chicks one set 5 weeks old and the other 3 weeks old. I got the first set as mostly a straight run with a few sexed pullets. The rest of my pullets didn't come in until 2 weeks later. So I added the day old chicks to the two week old chicks. Keeping a close eye on them. No problems at all, now they are one happy flock who just moved out to their coop last night total of 17 chicks.

Keep them together, I have two sets of chicks one set 5 weeks old and the other 3 weeks old. I got the first set as mostly a straight run with a few sexed pullets. The rest of my pullets didn't come in until 2 weeks later. So I added the day old chicks to the two week old chicks. Keeping a close eye on them. No problems at all, now they are one happy flock who just moved out to their coop last night total of 17 chicks.

From reading on here, I woud guess that this is the usual outcome.

Back
Top Bottom