mixing chicks and hens

Kris Engstrom

Hatching
Jul 20, 2017
I am brand new to chickens and went to the feed store to get supplies and ended up buying three of their 6 week old chicks. I was planning on buying hens from local online sources, and still would like to maybe do that. Can I mix some hens with these three chicks?

I am brand new to chickens and went to the feed store to get supplies and ended up buying three of their 6 week old chicks. I was planning on buying hens from local online sources, and still would like to maybe do that. Can I mix some hens with these three chicks?

Six weeks may be a little too young to mix with hens. You want to make sure they're a similar size so they don't get beat up on. See how the chicks do with the larger hens and go from there. If they get beat up too much then you may want to keep the three chicks separate for another week or so. But let the hens see the chicks during that time. Put the chicks run/cage near the hens so they're watching them and getting used to them without hurting them.

Best to only introduce same size from both parties.
Also Introduce new additions after night fall when the territorial flock is dormant. Then monitor closely for a few days.
I also put a makeshift pen in my hen house so they can safely check each other out without pecking and feather plucking each other. After a few days I pull out the makeshift and monitor the behavior.
:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom