Mixing Chicks in Brooder

10urbanchicks

Chirping
Apr 15, 2019
So yesterday I got 10 ISA Brown chicks but I lost 2 and 1 more might not make it. I read that ISAs are dominate making it hard to introduce other breeds to the flock. My question is would breed dominance be an issue if I add 2 more chicks of a different breed into the brooder. - Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions

Your chick supply may still have chicks from the same age batch avaliable.
The flock integration problems are more chicken adult problems , not chicks so much. My greater concern is why you have lost three chicks so far. Sounds like something is wrong with your brooding procedures.
The chicks spent 3 days in the mail, I received them at 10:30 yesterday morning. 2 arrived half dead. I know it's my first time but I've done my homework and I am vigilant to the point of OCD. The brooder is 30" x 50", 95 under the heat lamp and 78 at the coolest point. the chicks don't huddle and they aren't spread out around the edges, they are very quite and bopping all around. The water contains chick vitamins and electrolytes and they have drank 1 pint of water in the past 24 hours. Let me know what else I should be doing. I gave sugar water to the 2 I lost but it didn't help. One held on intil about 8pm the other passed this morning around 4.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Shipping can really be stressful on chicks. Do you have a local farm store? You could replace your chicks with similar age ones.
Yes I can buy local chicks about the same age but they don't carry the same breed.

TSC usually has cinnamon queen chicks which are a production breed like your isa browns. Or red Sex links which lay big brown eggs. Both of these are similar to isa brown in color and would mix in nicely. Sorry you lost some chicks. I have received shipped chicks and lost none and other times lost quite a few. There are so many variables. Most hatcheries offer some type of guarantee or refund options.

Back
Top Bottom