1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mixing chicks that are a week apart in age?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by northerncaliforniachick, May 1, 2009.

1. northerncaliforniachick

northerncaliforniachick Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    sonoma county
    I have 3 chicks now, but think I will have to 'relocate' one of them. I want to get 2 more on Monday (they will be just 5 days apart in age). Will this be OK? Will they flock together? Is there anything I have to take into consideration?
    The 2 I have now are a Rhode Island Red and a Black Australorp. I want a Barred Rock and not sure about the 4th (maybe 2 Barred Rocks?). Will they be OK right away together or should I plan to have them semi-separated in the beginning?
    thanks for any feedback- I'm quite new at this whole chicken experience!

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    You don't say how old they are, if very young its no usually too much of a problem. I find if I move everybody into a new box together, where its nobody's territory, I have less problems at any age.

3. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I'd put them together. At this age and less a weeks difference in age shouldn't make any difference IMO. I got 11 more today, but if I find an EE within the next week I'm going to put them together.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by