Mixing chicks with chicks

This is probably just me, but they're young and so close in age you can probably just toss them in together with minimal issue.

If you want to be more cautious, then a wire divider for a day or two in between the two groups, but chicks are generally pretty accepting of new chicks.

I agree with the above. At that age, they're so close in size that they should be fine, even if put together immediately. You may wish to be more cautious and put them in a "see/no touch" arrangement for a few days, and mix them when you have some time to observe them. It really comes down to how the chicks behave when put together, and only observation will tell you that.

We've mixed chicks that were two weeks old with three day olds with success after watching them in the brooder. They were, however, Silkies, so that may have had something to do with smooth integration.

Do what works for you...

UPDATE...I tried lifting out the divider. Other than trying out the space the bigger ones were after the littles Orps and then they wouldn't come out on a corner. The bigs kept at them. So I put the divider back. I left 2 of the more docile bigs in with the 3 littles thinking the numbers would help the situation. They didn't hurt eachother but the bigs kept chasing the littles away from the food dish and the littles were getting no rest. So everyone is separated again and all is at peace. I guess I'll try the hardware cloth divider until they're big enough to fend for themselves a little better. Space is getting low in the brooder so I have no idea what to do.

:thumbsup

And if you put them all together in an unfamiliar space, they will spend more time exploring and less time chasing each other. So when you move them to a bigger space is a perfect time to combine the groups.
Thank you for this!!!! I'm hoping the 8X8 coop will be done next week. That's a great idea! Any advice on how to introduce our 5 Silver laced wyandotte hens (just started laying a few weeks ago)? If the 9 are already established in the coop what would be the best way and how long should I wait? They can stay in the existing coop until then.

Any advice on how to introduce our 5 Silver laced wyandotte hens (just started laying a few weeks ago)? If the 9 are already established in the coop what would be the best way and how long should I wait? They can stay in the existing coop until then.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/
This article describes making a divider with chick-sized doors, so the chicks have a safe space where the big hens cannot go. You might consider something like that. (I've seen some similar ideas that used wire mesh or even cardboard. The important detail is the size of the openings, to let chicks through and keep hens out.)

If that idea doesn't work, then definitely try to arrange for the hens and chicks to live next to each other with a wire divider for a bit, before letting them be together. That lets them start getting used to each other.

Also plan on having multiple feed & water locations, and some things that chicks can run around to get out of sight. You don't want any chick to get trapped in a corner where a hen can bully it, but you do want them to be able to run behind something and out the other side. Suggestions I've seen include straw bales, or cardboard boxes, or boards leaned against the walls. The chickens aren't too picky about what it is, but they certainly will poop on it, so maybe start by looking at your own trash pile ;)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/
This article describes making a divider with chick-sized doors, so the chicks have a safe space where the big hens cannot go. You might consider something like that. (I've seen some similar ideas that used wire mesh or even cardboard. The important detail is the size of the openings, to let chicks through and keep hens out.)

If that idea doesn't work, then definitely try to arrange for the hens and chicks to live next to each other with a wire divider for a bit, before letting them be together. That lets them start getting used to each other.

Also plan on having multiple feed & water locations, and some things that chicks can run around to get out of sight. You don't want any chick to get trapped in a corner where a hen can bully it, but you do want them to be able to run behind something and out the other side. Suggestions I've seen include straw bales, or cardboard boxes, or boards leaned against the walls. The chickens aren't too picky about what it is, but they certainly will poop on it, so maybe start by looking at your own trash pile ;)
Thank you. Those are some really good ideas. I think I can do all of them.

Back
Top Bottom