Mixing Chics

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Beckyinva, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Beckyinva

Beckyinva Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Is it possible for silkies to be raised with normal size chickens, like Orpingtons or Barred Rocks. They would all be close to the same age. Can the bantams safely live with the bigger calm chickens. My silkies are a couple weeks old and I wanted to get some bigger Chics tomorrow.
    Thanks!

2. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I have experience in such mix breed flock. The finding was that yes, they can all live together.

However, I would not recommend silkies living with full size because silkies have very specific needs and limited mobility. Silkie have difficulty jumping up to anything more than 1-foot high. They do not like to roost amd prefer to sleep in nest. You might have to set up devices in your full size coop to suit Silkies.

Bantams will be able to live with full size coop setup, but will always be at the bottom of the pecking order.

3. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    I have 12 hens one is a silkie and one a silkie cross, A d'uncle, bantam cochin. all living with a Light Brahma, 2 RIR, 1 BA,1Barred rock and three EE's. I have no issues at all. No one picks on any of the little hens, They eat the same layer pellets and all roost together at night.

4. Beckyinva

Beckyinva Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. This newbie needs all the help she can get.
    Becky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by