Mixing day olds with 1week olds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Barnyard, May 26, 2008.

1. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I know this has been asked many times, but I can't seem to find the answer.

I have 1wk old's in a brooder and I have some that just hatched yesterday. The week olds are cochin's and the day old are silkies( from marie_martin) and more cochin's. I need to know if I can put them together in the same brooder?. I am going to make a bigger one and it will be plenty big for all of them.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If you're going to merge them all into a different brooder, it seems to work better. Put the youngest ones in there first and then add the older ones. Keep an eye..there may be a little fussing, but they tend to settle in quickly. I do it for up to 3weeks with success.

Jody

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I mixed day olds and week olds in the same brooder for a bit and didn't have any troubles. I would just keep an eye on them and make sure. Mine were reversed- the silkies were a week old and the cochins and others were a couple days old. I also had some week old ameraucanas and didn't seem to have a problem there either.

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I agree with Jody. My day olds were in for a couple of days and I introduced the week olds that someone brought me into the brooder with them. Seems to keep the bigger ones a little off balance until they can get established.

5. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    [​IMG] I was hoping ya'll would say that. I have got little chicks running out my ears and I am running out of places to put them.....

Another thing I want to ask is it ok for me to put them in a bigger brooder outside as long as they are still on the shaving's. I have alway's kept them inside for 6 weeks but it is warm enough they could go outside.

6. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    You're asking about putting day olds outside? Mine went outside at 3 weeks, and did fine. I imagine if it's 60s or 70s at night, it would be ok for day olds with a heat lamp, but I'd be leery putting day olds outside if lows are in the low 50s, but that's just me. I'm sure others would say they'd be fine.

7. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I live a little south of you but I have had my chicks outside but under a lean-to since they were a day old. I would keep a heat lamp on them in the evening just to help maintain temperature.

8. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I have a lean-to with 1 broody set up out there already with 4 week olds in it. I want to put the day olds and the week olds together in a bigger brooder, "with heat lamp" outside. Right now they are all inside and that is where they will be for another week or so, probley.

9. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    I mixed a day-old chick with a week-old one and had no problems. I think they both needed the company!:aww

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by