Mixing day olds with 1week olds

Barnyard

Addicted to Quack
12 Years
Aug 5, 2007
Southwest Georgia
I know this has been asked many times, but I can't seem to find the answer.

I have 1wk old's in a brooder and I have some that just hatched yesterday. The week olds are cochin's and the day old are silkies( from marie_martin) and more cochin's. I need to know if I can put them together in the same brooder?. I am going to make a bigger one and it will be plenty big for all of them.

If you're going to merge them all into a different brooder, it seems to work better. Put the youngest ones in there first and then add the older ones. Keep an eye..there may be a little fussing, but they tend to settle in quickly. I do it for up to 3weeks with success.

Jody

I mixed day olds and week olds in the same brooder for a bit and didn't have any troubles. I would just keep an eye on them and make sure. Mine were reversed- the silkies were a week old and the cochins and others were a couple days old. I also had some week old ameraucanas and didn't seem to have a problem there either.

I agree with Jody. My day olds were in for a couple of days and I introduced the week olds that someone brought me into the brooder with them. Seems to keep the bigger ones a little off balance until they can get established.

yippiechickie.gif
I was hoping ya'll would say that. I have got little chicks running out my ears and I am running out of places to put them.....

Another thing I want to ask is it ok for me to put them in a bigger brooder outside as long as they are still on the shaving's. I have alway's kept them inside for 6 weeks but it is warm enough they could go outside.

You're asking about putting day olds outside? Mine went outside at 3 weeks, and did fine. I imagine if it's 60s or 70s at night, it would be ok for day olds with a heat lamp, but I'd be leery putting day olds outside if lows are in the low 50s, but that's just me. I'm sure others would say they'd be fine.

I live a little south of you but I have had my chicks outside but under a lean-to since they were a day old. I would keep a heat lamp on them in the evening just to help maintain temperature.

I have a lean-to with 1 broody set up out there already with 4 week olds in it. I want to put the day olds and the week olds together in a bigger brooder, "with heat lamp" outside. Right now they are all inside and that is where they will be for another week or so, probley.

I mixed a day-old chick with a week-old one and had no problems. I think they both needed the company!:aww

Back
Top Bottom