Mixing Different age Roosters

mmajw

Songster
11 Years
Jan 31, 2008
Maine
I have a 2 year Old Rooster (Roosa) pictured in my Avatar that we love dearly and have had him since he was a day old chick. I bought baby chicks again last June (so a year old this June) and have now figured out that one may be a Roo. He has been in seperation for a week now because the ladies had tore him up and were pecking at him horribly. I haven't heard him crow but he also hasn't laid an egg in this week either. I tried to let him out of his seperate cage and let him stretch his wings when my Roosa came out of no where and attacked him.. I flipped out and started hollering to get Roosa off him and then was so nervous with Roosa's (my kids named him that) reaction that I haven't dared to let him out of sepearation cage again. Anyway my question is how do you mix 2 different age Roosters without them killing eachother???

Please help I love them both and I really want them to be able to get along. My Roosa doesn't get in with the hens at all, he has a seperate pen for at night but he can see the hens from his roost threw the chicken wire. He is free range during the day. So, it's not like the hens are his.
caf.gif

theres only way to use 2 roos.an thats build another coop for him.an give him some hens of his own.

I have 2 roos.....1 lives with the ladies and the other don't. They do not get along at all. I tried, um neither one of them are having any part of being friends!!

I kinda have the same situation...I had ordered some chickens from MM and there's one definate rooster...he's some egyption something can't remember, i love him to death and would hate to part with him. Also, he has crooked/twisted looking toes that look all busted up, and no one would ever want him or they would just kill him, which I refuse to let happen. However, I have a rooster bantam brahma who's almost a year old...hopefully by some miracle they will get along...? I know my friend had two roosters mixed in with eachother...they weren't that bad with one another...just have to wait and see I guess.

My original Rooster we have had for 2 years now and the one that could possibly be another Rooster will be a year old in June, so mixing I guess won't happen. However, I did have 2 other Roosters with my original Rooster up until last summer when I had to get rid of them(they were aggressive) and they all got along fine. They were aggressive to people and my other pets.

I have roughly 15 roosters free ranging my farm competing for about 110 hens (of which, probably only 40 fly out of the electric netting during the day). Over 25 acres, it's no issue. The roosters fight, figure out who is tougher, then the order is set. Smoothing sailing from then on. Never try to intervene in their power struggle, or it will never end.

What I enjoy most is watching which roosters the ladeez like most. Some seem to have much larger followings than others.

Well I guess I dont have to worry the one that was looking and acting like a Roo laid 2 eggs overnight. A soft shell that was broke open and a regular egg. WOO HOO I was worried how I was going to mix them guess I dont have to be worried anymore. Thanks for all your help in case I run into this again.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom