Mixing ducklinks and chicks

farmgirl315

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2016
Hey guys!
I am new to the chicken game but am loving every minute of it. I have visited backyard chickens for tons of advice since starting to look into adding chickens to my life. I have 2 bronze mammoth turkeys 8 chicks (all 3 weeks old I believe) and then last Sunday I got 3 khaki Campbell's 1 Pekin and a mallard.(so I think they may be a week old but I am not sure they are close to the same size as the chicks) I have the turkeys and chicks together in a 8ftx4ft brooder and I want to add my ducks so they get used to eachother. The ducks were originally kept with chickens but I don't think my chickens have ever seen ducks. When is the best time to introduce them to eachother? I appreciate all the help and advice! I have a little leg horn that has a crooked neck and I would like to separate her but the only other safe brooder has my ducks in it and when I tried to put her in with them thinking duck are sweet they started beating her up more than the chickens were. I am almost 100% sure it is from am injury (they run like mad Men around that brooder and the turkeys have a lot of weight on her and she isn't they best of getting out of they way) but with 3 big dogs and 3 cats and the chicks in the house because there is snow on the ground my other brooder is the only safe place for her. So the sooner I get the bigger healthy ducks out of there the sooner she can havea a break from the bigger birds. Again thanks guys! Mother nature is not as nice as I like to pretend it is
1f610.png
and I don't want any of them hurt
1f62f.png

So I got impatienthe because I saw my little crooked peep get stepped on again so I let them all meet slowly and they did great! So far so good and I got to separate the crooked peep!
[/IMG]

Now just to see if r&r gets her better
1f425.png
1f425.png

1f60a.png
1f60a.png
finally got chicks so now I have all these questions I never thought of before! Nice to have an area to asked others doing the same thing!!

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
-glad that you have joined us.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced poultry keepers https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom