Mixing grower and layer for extra protein

keaniebeanie

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Vermont
I have been mixing layer and starter/grower feed together to give my chickens added protein. I have 1 girl that is quite bare and was hoping to help her get those feathers growing. I think they might be starting a molt now, they are just over a year. I am wondering how long I should keep them on this mixture. I also have free choice oyster shell for them and they get our kitchen scraps. Should I give them some cat food and some canned fish a couple times a week too?
Thanks to all BYCer's.
big_smile.png

Everything you're doing is fine, have done it myself. As long as they are getting the minimum requirements (layer feed) and you are increasing the amount of protein in the treats, I see no harm. Excess protein is just eliminated by the kidneys. Be careful a bit with the cat food as it can have lots of salt and top ingredients may well be corn in the cheaper brands. If you're going to feed them more corn, chicken food is cheaper! On the other hand, I like to feed my girls a bit of kitten food every few days since it meets my desire to give them some animal protein, as Purina Layena is purely vegetarian fare.

Back
Top Bottom