Mixing - Is it okay?

Is it a good idea to mix bantams with regular sized chickens?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chicken Girl1

Queen of the Coop
6 Years
Mar 3, 2015
Virginia
Hello fellow chicken lovers,

I was wondering if it is a good idea to mix bantams with regular sized chickens in one flock? I'm pretty sure people have done it but I want to know if it is hurtful to the little bantams and after everything is said and done a good idea. Please share your knowledge on the subject!

Thank you,
Chicken Girl1

I asked the same question in a different thread recently and got some helpful feedback from oldhenlikesdogs. basically saying that large fowl hens are ok in with bantams as long as they are not aggressive but it's not a good idea to hdave large fowl cockerels in with bantams hens as they wont be able to handle any amorous advances.

I asked the same question in a different thread recently and got some helpful feedback from oldhenlikesdogs. basically saying that large fowl hens are ok in with bantams as long as they are not aggressive but it's not a good idea to hdave large fowl cockerels in with bantams hens as they wont be able to handle any amorous advances.
It's good thing then that I have no rooster. Thank you so much for you response!

I have two pekin bantam hens, a silver spangled Hamburg hen, a gold spangled hamburg rooster, a white Bresse hen, a Light Sussex hen, a Red leghorn rooster and what appears to be an Icelandic rooster in together.

They hatched around the same time and have lived together since hatching but now the two larger roosters are maturing I am going to have to move them out into a batchelor area. Bless em.

I shall probably either leave the larger hens in with the bantams or move them in with the other large fowl flock (9 hens and one HUGE rooster) and expand the bantam flock.

I asked the same question in a different thread recently and got some helpful feedback from oldhenlikesdogs. basically saying that large fowl hens are ok in with bantams as long as they are not aggressive but it's not a good idea to hdave large fowl cockerels in with bantams hens as they wont be able to handle any amorous advances.
Obviously I will agree, each situation is different, and it can depend on things like whether your birds are confined or free ranged, whether they have grown up together, it can work. I keep all my bantam hens only with bantam roosters, but my extra bantam roosters live in with my large breeds and hold their own. It's the hens that need extra care and consideration as many bantam hens are very docile and can quickly become bullied.

So if I wanted to buy some bantams to add to my flock of regular sized hens (without a rooster) you wouldn't recommend that? Thank you again for your replies!

So if I wanted to buy some bantams to add to my flock of regular sized hens (without a rooster) you wouldn't recommend that? Thank you again for your replies! 
It does depend on your set up and personality of existing hens. I prefer not to worry about it and keep two separate flocks in the same range area, my little ones can go back to their coop when they are stressed and the big breeds mostly ignore them except to chase them off. If you are looking to add breeds like silkies or cochins you will probably have problems with them being bullied.

Well, I have a flock of Australorps, Hatchery quality Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Rocks, Mixed, and Black/red sex links. My flock is not very aggressive, I was planning on keeping them all together in a large run area (sometimes free-ranging) but they would have to share a coop since I only have one. I was looking more towards Easter Egger bantams, Barred Rock bantams, and maybe Millie Fleurs.

RIR and some sex links can be bossy aggressive, but you won't know until you try it what your outcome will be, I would have a back up plan. Millie Fleur is a color, but I'm going to assume you mean d'uccle, which are pretty small compared to large breeds, though they can fly very well, like pigeons.

RIR and some sex links can be bossy aggressive, but you won't know until you try it what your outcome will be, I would have a back up plan. Millie Fleur is a color, but I'm going to assume you mean d'uccle, which are pretty small compared to large breeds, though they can fly very well, like pigeons.
Sorry I meant d'Uccle.

Back
Top Bottom