Mixing lonley chicks

Jan 21, 2021
Hi I only have one chick who survived she is lonely shes 3 days old calls all the time shes a polish chicken and I've been offered a 3 week old dutch bantam a very small runt would I be ok for them to go together? I dont want mine lonely or getting hurt , I have tried finding her a friend the same age but to no avail...

Hi I only have one chick who survived she is lonely shes 3 days old calls all the time shes a polish chicken and I've been offered a 3 week old dutch bantam a very small runt would I be ok for them to go together? I dont want mine lonely or getting hurt , I have tried finding her a friend the same age but to no avail...
Given a very large brooder with lots of perches and things to occupy the older chicks I think you can give it a try but keep a close eye.
I successfully put a day old hatchling in with bantam chicks that were 3 weeks old but the hatchlings broody mother adopted the three week olds so she rather smoothed the road for her chick. But when the chick first walked in the door to the brooder none of the older bantam chicks showed her the slightest aggression or interest.
What is your heat source? I would recommend a brooder plate with the rear legs lower than the front so they all can find a warm spot they like.

Given a very large brooder with lots of perches and things to occupy the older chicks I think you can give it a try but keep a close eye.
I successfully put a day old hatchling in with bantam chicks that were 3 weeks old but the hatchlings broody mother adopted the three week olds so she rather smoothed the road for her chick. But when the chick first walked in the door to the brooder none of the older bantam chicks showed her the slightest aggression or interest.
What is your heat source? I would recommend a brooder plate with the rear legs lower than the front so they all can find a warm spot they like.
It would only be the one 3 week old dutch and my 3 day old polish in there I have a brooder plate in already so I will higher the back legs up a little so the other will be fine aswell . Just hoping they get along nicely

I don't have experience with chicks that far apart in age, but I do know the cruelest thing I've done is raise a compromised chick by herself. At the time I didn't want to take on one more bird, but it wasn't fair to the one I had. Chicks need company.

Hopefully, someone else here can advise about the age difference.

Back
Top Bottom