Mixing new hens with my Coturnix Roos

Mating may have been the intent but the hen turns 4 weeks Saturday and he had fire in his eyes. Was very aggressive, latched on to the top of the head and looked like he was going to twist her head off. I'm going to try again in a couple weeks.

I just introduced a female to a male who had been alone for a few weeks (since his mate died). Surprisingly, he didn't race towards her at first sight (maybe because he's an older male). I don't think he really knew how to introduce himself. I had to help him out a little.

I think they like each other now
IMG_20200606_125319.jpg

I just introduced a female to a male who had been alone for a few weeks (since his mate died). Surprisingly, he didn't race towards her at first sight (maybe because he's an older male). I don't think he really knew how to introduce himself. I had to help him out a little.

I think they like each other now
View attachment 2179403

That is so cute! It is always nice to see that not all roosters are rapists. :)

Good news I tried to mix again yesterday with success. My chicks are now 6 weeks and some of them are now actually bigger than he is. He kind of stood there for a second. They were making noises at each other and he went toward one of the chicks. Got in her face and she kind of gave him a not this time peck on the head and he backed off. Some chasing for a couple min but then I added some sand and everyone calmed down. Been 2 days and all is well.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I'm so glad you posted this. I was doing the same this week, adding new girls for my extra roo. He is a standard Rosetta and the girls I could find are jumbos. He is half their size but a feisty one . I was so nervous about it but put a divider in the cage for a week. Had the courage to remove it today after reading this. So far it is going well after a bit of chasing.

Good luck. Hope they make a friendly flock.

I was actually on the way to the garage to try and put together a divider and thought let me give this one more try and lucked out.

Back
Top Bottom