Mixing Newly Hatched with Week Old Chicks

NewHampGreen

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 26, 2014
Brentwood, NH
I currently have 8 chicks that will be 8 days on Saturday. I want to pick up 4-6 more this Saturday. The new chicks will be 2 days old when I pick them up. If I seperate them for a few days to allow them to pick up some strength and there is no visible disease, does anyone see an issue with this? Should I keep them seperated longer?

Not that this matters but the breakdown of current and new chicks is (all pullets)...
current -
3 - NH Red
3 - Bl Austrolorp
2 - Delaware Wh

new -
4 - Barred Rock
2 - Buff Orp (possible)

Last edited:
We actually just did the same, with great results. We hatched 6, including one with three legs. Then we loaded up the kids and went to tractor supply. Terrible mistake, they're having a big chick sale, and according to our daughter, they were "princess" chicks. We couldn't escape with out buying six more 2 week old birds. We kept them separate, but close enough to hear each other, for 48 hours. Now they are all together and doing just fine!

LOL - we are trying to stay out of Tractor Supply right now for the same reason - our first chicks are arriving the week after Easter and we can't wait! I keep saying "we'll just have six" but I don't expect that to last very long. We are getting Wyandottes since splitting an order with a neighbor, but I still want a few Buff Orpingtons and a few Plymoth Barred Rocks for sentimental reasons. I remember going out to a farm years ago and there were these beautiful golden chickens rummaging around in yellow and red maple leaves on a gorgeous October day; I thought that was the prettiest scene, and learned the chickens were BO's...so I swore I'd have some one day. My Mom and her favorite brother raised PBR's when they were kids and she used to talk about them a lot. I see that MyPet Chicken.com sells small orders - three of a kind - if you don't want too many. Any experiences with that source? The Wyandottes are coming from Mt. Healthy Hatchery; our neighbors have dealt with them before.
This is SUCH a helpful website!

Back
Top Bottom