mixing one rooster with several hens. what will the babies look like???

MeganAnthony09

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2021
Hello all,

I have one Blue Orpington Rooster and 6 hens. My breed of hens are, Blue Splash Maran, White leghorn, Brown leghorn, Speckled Sussex, Black Laced Gold Wyandotte, and a Black Australorp.

So far the Sussex and Wyandotte has not successfully given me fertile eggs but the rest have and they are getting ready to hatch out of my incubator now. The hens have not gone broody and when they have gone broody they only lay on the eggs until the babies start to hatch out, then the hen kills the babies. Its horrible and its happened several times so from now on I am going to incubate the eggs when I want more babies.

My question is, what kind of babies will I get with this mixture? A Blue Orpington rooster mixed with my variety of hens. I am very curious and wondering if someone happens to have the same breeds that I have and have you hatched out any babies from this mixture.

Thank You for any replies in advance.
20211218_130824.jpg

I have one Blue Orpington Rooster and 6 hens. My breed of hens are, Blue Splash Maran, White leghorn, Brown leghorn, Speckled Sussex, Black Laced Gold Wyandotte, and a Black Australorp.

With your Blue Orpington rooster:

Blue Splash Maran hen should produce chicks that are blue or splash.
White Leghorn should produce chicks that are mostly white, but may have some bits of black or blue.

All 4 of the others should give you chicks that are black or blue. Any of those may have some leakage of brown, red, gold, or white.

The Wyandotte may produce chicks with rose combs. All other chicks should have single combs, and there is a chance of single comb from the Wyandotte as well.

With your Blue Orpington rooster:

Blue Splash Maran hen should produce chicks that are blue or splash.
White Leghorn should produce chicks that are mostly white, but may have some bits of black or blue.

All 4 of the others should give you chicks that are black or blue. Any of those may have some leakage of brown, red, gold, or white.

The Wyandotte may produce chicks with rose combs. All other chicks should have single combs, and there is a chance of single comb from the Wyandotte as well.
Thank You so much for your response. I really appreciate it. This was very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom