Mixing parakeets, cockatiels, and chickens in the same run

Asaria1

Songster
Jun 26, 2020
San Diego, CA
Hello all!
I have a friend who has two cockatiels and one parakeet that live together that he is trying to rehome. I was thinking I could just let them fly free and live in my chicken run. My run is well enclosed that they would not be able to escape, and its big enough that they would have so much room to fly free!!! BUT!!!! I am worried about any potential disease. Any advice would help!
Thanks in advance!

Hello all!
I have a friend who has two cockatiels and one parakeet that live together that he is trying to rehome. I was thinking I could just let them fly free and live in my chicken run. My run is well enclosed that they would not be able to escape, and its big enough that they would have so much room to fly free!!! BUT!!!! I am worried about any potential disease. Any advice would help!
Thanks in advance!
How about setting up a divided aviary?

Hello all!
Thanks in advance!
There's a few issues here, unfortunately. First, you risk passing diseases between them (illness from the parrots to the chickens, or from the chickens to the parrots). Second, you risk the chickens killing them. Even if they're fast, if they land or get stuck somewhere the chickens will attack them & kill them.

You will also have no way of controlling the food they have access to. Parrots and smaller birds are at risk of Fatty Liver Disease, which will likely be fueled by them eating any chicken feed/scratch grains they get ahold of.

A (safe) outside aviary is always a wonderful set up for parrots, but only by themselves, not larger species. You have a good idea and I'm not trying to put you down, but there's a lot of different care that goes into each animal that might not be compatible.

There's a few issues here, unfortunately. First, you risk passing diseases between them (illness from the parrots to the chickens, or from the chickens to the parrots). Second, you risk the chickens killing them. Even if they're fast, if they land or get stuck somewhere the chickens will attack them & kill them.

You will also have no way of controlling the food they have access to. Parrots and smaller birds are at risk of Fatty Liver Disease, which will likely be fueled by them eating any chicken feed/scratch grains they get ahold of.

A (safe) outside aviary is always a wonderful set up for parrots, but only by themselves, not larger species. You have a good idea and I'm not trying to put you down, but there's a lot of different care that goes into each animal that might not be compatible.
Thank you very much! This was very helpful!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Back
Top Bottom