Mixing scratch and layer feed ?

BruceAZ

Songster
May 18, 2016
Valley of the Sun :)
Hello,

Is ok to mix scratch and layer feed together

let say--- 1 part scratch + 4 part layer feed

or maybe the chickens like to eat scratch right off the ground instead ?

thanks

Last edited:
What are you trying to achieve?

Overall, I'd say no. Layer is a pretty tight, basic formula. It's already the lowest protein feed available. diluting it 1/4 with scratch is just going to knock your protein level down that much more.

Scratch is a treat. Toss it on the ground and let them scratch around for it
big_smile.png

nothing in particular.. just curious if i can just mix them together

the layer feed is pretty grounded up (more than the starter feed they were on)

Last edited:
I always wonder why people want to mix scratch into their feed. It's like asking if you should mix twinkies into your kid's spaghetti. Scratch is a treat meant to be tossed on the ground, as a boredom buster or to add some extra calories in the winter or other times when foraging isn't an option.

It's okay if its ground fine, they will eat it just as easily.

I agree with the other 2 posters.
That's why they call it scratch. Chickens love to scratch for goodies all day. Throwing it on the ground is the best approach but just not too much. They can easily eat too much.

When mixed with layer feed, they'll pick out what they want rather than eat the complete feed.

Last edited:
I always wonder why people want to mix scratch into their feed. It's like asking if you should mix twinkies into your kid's spaghetti. Scratch is a treat meant to be tossed on the ground, as a boredom buster or to add some extra calories in the winter or other times when foraging isn't an option.

big_smile.png
Because they haven't gone on BYC yet and don't know any better. I used to do the same, thinking that the LF provided protein, vitamins and other nutrients and scratch for carbs. <we need a blushing/embarrassed smiley>

Last edited:
:D Because they haven't gone on BYC yet and don't know any better. I used to do the same, thinking that the LF provided protein, vitamins and other nutrients and scratch for carbs. embarrassed smiley>
Lol. I've met some people that also say they mix oyster shell in their layer feed.

Last edited:

while i understand what you are trying to explain but that is a bad comparison since both (scratch & layer feed) are dried foods

but yes.. i get the idea

Lol. I've met some people that also say they mix oyster shell in their layer feed.

is that bad ?

Last edited:
while i understand what you are trying to explain but that is a bad comparison since both are dried foods

but yes.. i get the idea

is that bad ?
My comparison (i.e. the reason you shouldn't mix them) is about nutrition, not moisture content, texture, solidity, taste or any other characteristic.

Regarding mixing in oyster shell, its redundant and unnecessary. Layer feed is already meant to meet the calcium needs of a laying female. Offering it on the side is not a bad idea "just in case", but more is not better and if they are not picking around it you could potentially be upping the calcium in their diet to levels that strain their kidneys and do more harm than good.

Back
Top Bottom