Mixing sizes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jgconnor, Sep 26, 2010.

1. jgconnor

jgconnor Out Of The Brooder

Do Bantams do OK with other breeds? I'd love to have a few just for the heck of it but, I don't want to have "social" problems.

2. addictedtochickens

addictedtochickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Bantams should be fine as long as you get a few. You should never get just one bantam in a group of larger birds. There is much more strength in numbers and it is less likely to get picked on this way.

3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I've kept bantams and standard-sized chickens together, and they get along fine. I definitely second what the above poster said about making sure to get more than one bantam.

4. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    I have one bantam variety chicken in a flock of 9 and she does fine. I got her before I even thought maybe there should be more than one, but they all seemed to get along fine so I didn't get any more. Here she is; father was a bantam buff brahma and her mother was a buff cochin. She lays a little tan egg.
    [​IMG]

5. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I have bantams and standards mixed -all hens- 14 breeds total. I would be cautious, however, if you have a standard-sized rooster in the group. He could inadvertantly hurt a small bantam hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by