Mixing Smaller and Larger Breeds??? Yes or no?

ED1995

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2023
Hi,

I currently have 6 Hybrids and I am looking to expand my Flock.
I really love some of the smaller breeds and was wondering if it's possible to have smaller breeds living along hybrids sharing the same coop/run (there is plenty of space)

What's the opinions on this?
Is it doable?
Will it cause any problems?
Any experiences of doing this?
And if it is possible are there any recommendations of smaller breeds that are better to mix?

Thank you 😊

You shouldn't have any problems with mixing smaller breeds with larger breeds, many people do it.
How much sq ft of run and coop space do you have?
There aren't really any certain breeds that would be better to mix. Only thing I'd say is if you get any crested breeds get at least 2, cause if you have one they do tend to get picked on more because of their crest.

Hi,

I currently have 6 Hybrids and I am looking to expand my Flock.
I really love some of the smaller breeds and was wondering if it's possible to have smaller breeds living along hybrids sharing the same coop/run (there is plenty of space)

What's the opinions on this?
Is it doable?
Will it cause any problems?
Any experiences of doing this?
And if it is possible are there any recommendations of smaller breeds that are better to mix?

Thank you 😊
I have everything from accidental microbantams created with allowing some broodies to hatch clutches where it turns out small plus small got small.but then I have a very large jubilee orphington rooster, maran rooster,ameraucana roosters an accidental probable american game roo..sebright roo..then I have 5 of the little pulleys, mille fleur duccle, oegb, patridge cochin bantam and standard, Jersey giant light/dark Brahms, welsummers,sussex,easter/olive eggers, so I go from tiny to large, as long as you have safe places high and low for the smalls to go it works pretty well

These are some of mine trying to stay cool

Attachments

• 20230821_152508.jpg
    20230821_152508.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230821_152538.jpg
    20230821_152538.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230821_152520.jpg
    20230821_152520.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230821_152524.jpg
    20230821_152524.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230821_152531.jpg
    20230821_152531.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 9
You shouldn't have any problems with mixing smaller breeds with larger breeds, many people do it.
How much sq ft of run and coop space do you have?
There aren't really any certain breeds that would be better to mix. Only thing I'd say is if you get any crested breeds get at least 2, cause if you have one they do tend to get picked on more because of their crest.
Ok good to know

I have a nearly 200square ft run, and the omlet Cube with an auto door to let them out as soon as it's daylight currently just for 6 chickens, they also get out to free range the garden when I'm about to supervise the dogs roo so definitely plenty of space.
Was just thinking of maybe getting a few additional nesting boxes

If I was getting smaller breeds to add I'd probably go with a safe number of 4 to give them a bit more safety in numbers!

Thanks for the reply 😊

I have everything from accidental microbantams created with allowing some broodies to hatch clutches where it turns out small plus small got small.but then I have a very large jubilee orphington rooster, maran rooster,ameraucana roosters an accidental probable american game roo..sebright roo..then I have 5 of the little pulleys, mille fleur duccle, oegb, patridge cochin bantam and standard, Jersey giant light/dark Brahms, welsummers,sussex,easter/olive eggers, so I go from tiny to large, as long as you have safe places high and low for the smalls to go it works pretty well
Excellent news thank you, this is reassuring!

BTW, I have not found that the crested birds get picked on by the non crested.
We crossed a Sebright (bantam) hen with a Spitzhauben, (which is a large fowl). I love the offspring, which I call Sprights. They are medium size, excellent layers and very pretty. I am not so fond of big heavy chickens, so to me, these are perfect. They all look so much alike I’ve had to use leg bands.

View attachment 3616700
A local farmer has some that look like this and I enquired about them today, absolutely beautiful 😍 hopefully I can add some to my flock too!

Ok good to know

I have a nearly 200square ft run, and the omlet Cube with an auto door to let them out as soon as it's daylight currently just for 6 chickens, they also get out to free range the garden when I'm about to supervise the dogs roo so definitely plenty of space.
Was just thinking of maybe getting a few additional nesting boxes

If I was getting smaller breeds to add I'd probably go with a safe number of 4 to give them a bit more safety in numbers!

Thanks for the reply 😊
I think it may be a bit tight in that coop if you get some more chickens. That's definitely plenty of run space though.
How many nesting boxes do you have now? You really only need 1 per 3-4ish chickens.

I think it may be a bit tight in that coop if you get some more chickens. That's definitely plenty of run space though.
How many nesting boxes do you have now? You really only need 1 per 3-4ish chickens.
Do you think so?

When I check on my current girls at night they are all huddled up together in the corner and honestly don't even take up a quarter of the space in there. And seeing as the door opens on a daylight sensor they don't spend any daylight time locked in so I was thinking it's be fine to add a couple more.

Currently have 2 nest boxes for my 6 so was thinking adding just one more would be wise

Back
Top Bottom