Mixing

laughing man

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
westfield mass
what other animals can i mix with chickens?
D.gif

are there any?
barnie.gif

I mix two Pit Bulls with my chickens. They're my hens' own personal bodyguards! I've actually seen them get in between the chickens and another dog that some friends let in the yard. They barked and wrestled the dog on its back while the girls ran to the safety of the run. Then, as soon as I locked the run door, they let the other dog up and started playing like normal. People are always amazed to see the dogs and chickens running around the yard together. Actually, the dogs attacking the chickens was my number one worry when I first decided to get chicks, but I just made sure to introduce them right away (with the dogs on a leash, of course), and let the dogs know that the chickens were part of the pack. Funny thing is, the chickens are the ones that chase the dogs!
lau.gif

54436_264.jpg

Last edited:
I used to have rabbits mixed in with the chooks (wife is australian sorry) they seem to go together well.. rabbits don't seem to eat chook food and chooks ignre the rabbits and their food... seen others house the bunnies in the coop as well...

Mine are with dogs and cats. I know people keep them with cows and goats, too. Also turkeys and ducks, though ducks can be tricky (they're so wet and messy) and the turkey can get a fatal disease (blackhead) from the chickens -- if there is blackhead in your area. County extension will know. I've seen peafowl and guineas free ranging with chickens around here, though not so sure this is a good idea.

I envy people that have dogs and chickens that will live in harmony together.

My dogs will chase, and unfortunately kill, anything that will run.. we live on 9 acres and we have both the front yard and the back yard fenced in. When we had to move our coop inside the fence(we use a chain-link dog run covered with mesh and a tarp) due to a bobcat that was finding a way in through one corner.. we delegated the front yard to the chickens during the day as they free range now.. and at night they are locked up and the dogs patrol the front yard emitting canine scent to hopefully keep the bobcat on the other side of the fence. I know that if given the chance, our dogs would love to chase the chickens so we will not take that chance.

Shelly
I have 11 Buff Orpington hens and one rooster.. ordering a variety of day old chicks to arrive in February.

Quote:
I don't know this for fact but I've heard the pigs will try to kill and eat the chickens, esp if they can reach them when they're roosting. Anyone know if this is true?

Quote:
One of my dogs killed a chicken a few years ago. She was trying to play with it, of course, chasing then shaking it. Took a few months of teaching the "leave it" command and supervision, but they all eventually got the idea. Now they pay the chickens (and the cats) no attention, though sometimes wander around together. But they sure chase and bark at any other 4 legged critter. Or two legged, for that matter. One cat got curious til I got the timing right and got him with the garden hose -- funny, he isn't interested in chickens any more.

Back
Top Bottom