MJ's little flock

Have you thought of redirecting her pecking to something else? Perhaps hang a corncob in the small coop?

I use seed blocks. The one in front has lasted for almost a year!
20200126_104054.jpg

Oh crikey!

I saw BY Bob's sad news and thought I wanted to be with the chickens.

Earlier this morning I had set up a small pen in front of the henhouse for the pullets to sun themselves if needs be.

View attachment 2010299

You can see Peggy perched on the threshold.

Anyway, this is what I saw by the woodshed.

View attachment 2010300

She must've hopped the fence!

Of course, the hens wondered what I was up to and came to investigate. I'd like to say the four of them sat around singing the songs of their people, but as I'm sure you can guess, there were three scuffles, one for each hen.

Ivy is quick on her feet though and suffered no real harm. She's still in the big yard, but keeping her distance from the hens.

The big surprise was Sandy. She was the meanest of the big hens and made Ivy cry out in pain and panic. It reminded me of the time Mary made Sandy cry out.

I hate to say this but it is likely that Sandy will be vicious now. When integrating I have always observed that the meek little hen that was last in the pecking order before becomes ferocious. She will not relinquish 3rd in the order for 5th easily. Expect mild little Sandy to be really hard on the new ladies. Mary and Janet less so because they are secure in their positions.

Ivy loves being out and about in the big yard!

I've done another swicheroo and put the hens in the henhouse for a couple of hours so the pullets can roam.

Ivy has gone a-wandering and had three big flappy scampers :) plus some nibbles of this n that.

Peggy remains encamped by the henhouse door. She's had one flappy stand-tall if you know what I mean - I'm sure you do.

The yard gives them a chance to be as far away from each other as they like, which must be nice considering they're in close proximity most of the time.

I told you Ivy had that look to me. Not surprised at all. :D

I hate to say this but it is likely that Sandy will be vicious now. When integrating I have always observed that the meek little hen that was last in the pecking order before becomes ferocious. She will not relinquish 3rd in the order for 5th easily. Expect mild little Sandy to be really hard on the new ladies. Mary and Janet less so because they are secure in their positions.
I wonder if you see something like this Bob.
Top hen doesn't bother with most of the disputes and everybody gets out of her way.
Second hen here is often the tribe minder. They are in general the best all rounders I've found.
The last from the bottom is often the most trouble.

I use seed blocks. The one in front has lasted for almost a year!
View attachment 2011484
I've never seen seed blocks in the fodder stores but maybe I can get one online. I'll try the corn cob first if needs be, but I think Peggy's feather pulling days are in the past. I haven't seen her peak at Ivy's tail since it was treated by cetrigen, which was Thursday.

In a way, I'm ok with Sandy going mean. The pullets usually outrun her (they're incredibly zippy) and leave her feeling quite pleased with herself! "Yeh, you better run, you tiny interlopers!"

When she happens to land a strike, she can't do much damage with her trimmed beak.

I didn't report yesterday, sorry!

It was my turn for hosting our monthly catchup. So I had a hectic day of preparing the house and the dinner.

Folks thought the hens were gorgeous :D and those who wanted to handfed some bits of lettuce. The pullets were also a big hit, although understandably timid.

Blossom also came in for lots of admiration :D

The pullets are out in the yard with the hens and they'll be out there until roosting time.

Everything seems ok. The pullets haven't been hurt. They've been chased but not too much.

The hens have established themselves in their favourite afternoon napping/dusting spot. Every now and then Peggy wanders over to show how assertive she is, or maybe just to say hello, and Janet the Enforcer has to give chase. No big deal, Peggy dashes away and all's good.

Ivy's too sensible for such malarky. She's established herself on the far side of the yard, fossicking for snacks.

Back
Top Bottom