MJ's little flock

Yes! I have definitely noticed this since my flock came down to being only 3. It is now all much more complicated with more shifting of positions. It all seemed very set and calm when there were four.

I will want to get back to 4. The flock was more balanced. I had 3 for years and it just seems to work better with four. No one is ever out there on their own and the pecking order enforcement was much lower. The whole flock was calmer.

It's a shame really because the pairings had just started to switch up from time to time as well. I was seeing a lot more of Hattie paired with Aurora and Mal paired with Lilly. :(

Ivy's tail tufts

You may have to use your imagination a little, but see that black thingmabob pointing backwards above her tooshi? It's a few tail feather tufts!

Screenshot_2020-01-28-15-36-58-77.png

From another angle:

IMG20200128153101.jpg

I will want to get back to 4. The flock was more balanced. I had 3 for years and it just seems to work better with four. No one is ever out there on their own and the pecking order enforcement was much lower. The whole flock was calmer.

It's a shame really because the pairings had just started to switch up from time to time as well. I was seeing a lot more of Hattie paired with Aurora and Mal paired with Lilly. :(
Such a heartbreak. Mal was a delightful character. Thank you for sharing her with us Bob.

Maybe you could consider 5 Bob. I've read (and it makes sense) that introducing two is easier than one.

Maybe you could consider 5 Bob. I've read (and it makes sense) that introducing two is easier than one.

I was thinking that too, and thinking of getting two pullets. But then I thought Charlie might still be left out so I thought maybe I should get three. I dropped a message to the breeder asking if he might have pullets in March, but he hasn’t responded. I know he’s seen the message, it’s a bit discouraging. :(

At least it's a large backyard for the chickens. They run out of steam before they run out of space and there's lots to forage and the odd bug or two to be triumphant about.
Oh I'm sure they are as happy as they can be! I live in the city too, but coming from the north of norway I wouldn't say there's anything natural about the citylife - I still prefer it for practical reasons though :)

Back
Top Bottom