MJ's little flock

Hmm that probably means it's not mites. But if she's feeling delicate already, she might not be able to tolerate them like her friends can. I don't know for sure how to check, but if you pour boiling water over the roosting bars, it kills them if they are there and it's usually easy to do. @Shadrach will know how to check for them. He's had lots of mite experience.
Thanks MJ ❤️
Easy red mite check. Take a clean white tissue and wipe the tissue along the underside of the roost bar at night while the hens are roosting. If you see any red spots on the tissue you've got a red mite problem.
Red mites live in the coop and not on the chicken. Favourite spots are in the end grain of roost bars.
Feather mite live on the chicken. You need to check for these by eye. Work your way down the chickens back lifting the feathes as you go so you can see the feather shaft ends and the skin. Any movement on the feather shaft or on the skin will be feather mite or lice. Lice and a lot bigger than feather mite.
Northern fowl mite live on the chicken. There are usually lots if there are any. They are big enough to easily see by eye but a magnifying glass is ueseful.
If you find lots of mites on the skin rather than in the feathers it's more likely that these are Northern Fowl Mites. You need to deal with these quickly. A bad infestation can kill the chicken. Permethrin spray or powder works on all the above mites and lice. However, you need to treat every few days for a couple of weeks to make sure you kill the new hatchings.
I expect I'll have to do this at night. When they see me coming during the day they run!

Hmm that probably means it's not mites. But if she's feeling delicate already, she might not be able to tolerate them like her friends can. I don't know for sure how to check, but if you pour boiling water over the roosting bars, it kills them if they are there and it's usually easy to do. @Shadrach will know how to check for them. He's had lots of mite experience.
The red mites come out at night. All you need to do is rub your hand across the bottom of the roost at night and you will smooth then with your fingers. Red fingers = red mites.

The red mites come out at night. All you need to do is rub your hand across the bottom of the roost at night and you will smooth then with your fingers. Red fingers = red mites.
SHRB TAX
20170217_181716_001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom