MJ's little flock

I must have missed something. What do you and @Shadrach do to take a chicken off the roost? I assume that is what you are talking about.
I get them to step back onto my hand rather than try to grab them. It seems to cause a lot less stress. My Finnish chicken keeping friend has a very short stick, think old style corkscrew with the metal piece replaced by a 15 mm wooden dowel. The hand grip part is shaped so it doesn't twist and tilt in the hand.
He goes in front of the chicken and assuming you are right handed, to the right of the chicken and applies pressure with the dowel between the chickens ankle and knee joint. The chicken is then facing him as he removes it from it's perch and less likely to try to take flight.

Can I ha sum snaks from th shup plz?

View attachment 2629516
I love that basket. I use a pet carrier but I will keep an eye out for just such a basket just in case. All the chickens that I've taken in the vehicles settle down once we are moving. I've even taken a couple on my lap and they've settled.

So Janet's treatment is lincospectin in her water for a week. She seemed to enjoy her ride in the car and was very happy to be home.

She's already had some of her special water, some dinner and some bites of apple, so that's good.

On top of her infection, she's moulting, poor old chook.

Mark thinks this new infection might be secondary to coryza, which has been an ongoing problem for her.

Anyway, Peggy and I think Ivy have appointments coming up and Mark said to bring Jan along too so he can check on her. So it'll be three hens scooting off to the vet in one visit! It's getting so I need an emotional support hen for whoever stays home!
Pleased to read Mark has the knowledge and skills to diagnose these things. It's a bit of a rarity ime.

Donk's stash. Pardon the scorch marks. Despite years of practice killing parasites in coops with a blow torch I still manage to char the perch holders for some reason.:confused:
P4200036.JPG

I get them to step back onto my hand rather than try to grab them. It seems to cause a lot less stress. My Finnish chicken keeping friend has a very short stick, think old style corkscrew with the metal piece replaced by a 15 mm wooden dowel. The hand grip part is shaped so it doesn't twist and tilt in the hand.
He goes in front of the chicken and assuming you are right handed, to the right of the chicken and applies pressure with the dowel between the chickens ankle and knee joint. The chicken is then facing him as he removes it from it's perch and less likely to try to take flight.
This is how I usrd to pick up the canaries when I was a kid. They used to step up unto a higher perch as a reflex.

I love that basket. I use a pet carrier but I will keep an eye out for just such a basket just in case. All the chickens that I've taken in the vehicles settle down once we are moving. I've even taken a couple on my lap and they've settled.
It's very handy for trips to vet and the lining is easily cleaned. Both Sandy and Janet seemed to enjoy having one side open. They ride along, looking here and there, beaks closed, no panting, just curiosity.

Pleased to read Mark has the knowledge and skills to diagnose these things. It's a bit of a rarity ime.
He's so much more experienced than I am and he has all the tools of the trade like xray, lab tests, etc. It's so reassuring to know I can take a sick hen and he'll reach a reliable diagnosis much much quicker than I ever would.

Donk's stash. Pardon the scorch marks. Despite years of practice killing parasites in coops with a blow torch I still manage to char the perch holders for some reason.:confused:
View attachment 2630252
I would be tempted to take them to England and hatch a few in an incubator.

Back
Top Bottom