MJ's little flock

A small foray into the human zone.

IMG_2021-10-24-17-01-03-366.jpg

Janet is very disappointed to discover those are not real flowers.

IMG_2021-10-24-17-01-20-406.jpg

Then Ivy became huffy about it too.

Mary was the one who kept saying they're not actual flowers, don't bother checking, you can't eat them, if you check you'll be disappointed.

Whereas Peggy considered the whole notion of crossing the threshold LUDICROUS.

Sunday dinner!! Yayyy!!

View attachment 2876421

Seriously, Mary has really been putting it away since getting up off the nest. I'm very happy to see her loving her food so much 🥰
With Mary, was it after the 21 days that she began to lose her interest in brooding? When you opened the little coop all up?
I’m only asking because I’ve tried everything with Belle other than a cage and she’s still sitting. I even pulled all the bedding out yesterday because Snow went back in with her after already laying her egg first thing in the morning and I can’t have them both broody 😂 (she wasn’t allowed access to the coop sat or Sunday from morning until late afternoon) and she still is insisting on sitting in the empty nest box 😅 I think I just have to let her ride it out.
The will is strong in this one 😉

With Mary, was it after the 21 days that she began to lose her interest in brooding? When you opened the little coop all up?
I’m only asking because I’ve tried everything with Belle other than a cage and she’s still sitting. I even pulled all the bedding out yesterday because Snow went back in with her after already laying her egg first thing in the morning and I can’t have them both broody 😂 (she wasn’t allowed access to the coop sat or Sunday from morning until late afternoon) and she still is insisting on sitting in the empty nest box 😅 I think I just have to let her ride it out.
The will is strong in this one 😉
Crikey! How many days has she been broody for?

Mary sat to 22 days, fully enclosed in the little coop, no interference, her friends laid their eggs elsewhere, setting her own schedule for getting up to eat, drink, poop, and bathe.

At 22 days, I opened up the little coop and that was such a big event for her that she started to disrupt her own schedule. That's when I noticed her poops had become a little more nuggetty.

That night, I carried her over to the roost (about 10 metres away) and that helped her change her headspace too.

That was all I did. I think the changes were so significant to Mary that she came out of her own accord. She and the hens decided it was time to deconstruct her nest.

I didn't close up the little coop until yesterday.

My thinking is that brooding is natural for a hen, so I just leave them to it. Because they get used to being left alone, when I do eventually take steps, they notice it.

They're pretty good at taking care of themselves through the brooding. I haven't yet been given much cause for concern (touch wood).

Alternative nesting sites are a bonus because it prevents the other hens from disturbing a broody.

Crikey! How many days has she been broody for?

Mary sat to 22 days, fully enclosed in the little coop, no interference, her friends laid their eggs elsewhere, setting her own schedule for getting up to eat, drink, poop, and bathe.

At 22 days, I opened up the little coop and that was such a big event for her that she started to disrupt her own schedule. That's when I noticed her poops had become a little more nuggetty.

That night, I carried her over to the roost (about 10 metres away) and that helped her change her headspace too.

That was all I did. I think the changes were so significant to Mary that she came out of her own accord. She and the hens decided it was time to deconstruct her nest.

I didn't close up the little coop until yesterday.

My thinking is that brooding is natural for a hen, so I just leave them to it. Because they get used to being left alone, when I do eventually take steps, they notice it.

They're pretty good at taking care of themselves through the brooding. I haven't yet been given much cause for concern (touch wood).

Alternative nesting sites are a bonus because it prevents the other hens from disturbing a broody.
Yep, crikey indeed!
Today is day 10, I got her out for her daily needs because I’m at work all day and can’t be sure she will do it herself. She is back in now, Snow will probably go in to lay at around 10 going off her usual schedule, I just hope she comes out again! Haha
Belle moves over for Snow to get in and lay, no aggression, then just moves onto her egg after she is done.
I guess I know if I have the bigger coop next time she goes through it, she is a reliable sitter and maybe is deserved of a chance to hatch some eggs… 🤔💜

Back
Top Bottom