MJ's little flock

The river chickens are in good shape except that Christa had a little abdominal softening but not enough to warrant concern. They demonstrated excellent behaviour all the way through.

Mark didn't even charge me for the appointment! And he loved this photo

View attachment 3337835

then told me the story about his own hens and their fascination for the tumble drier!

Anyway, here's Joyce in the car.

View attachment 3337836

On the way home, she had a little snooze.

View attachment 3337838
That’s excellent that they’re in good health! :wee I love that photo too!

That's awful :( those poor people. It really puts life into perspective.

I wasn't expecting much from the eggs anyway. Last time there were four eggs and only one hatched, and that one was squashed by Peggy when it was only half hatched.

This time I've been pondering the suitability of the little coop. I think a nest on the ground would provide better incubation conditions. But that's not achievable until after the paving is put in. The paving is waiting for some other jobs to be done first. So next season looks likely.
Sydney did fine with a nest in the coop, up in the air. I suspect that where she sat was not a problem.

Today the pullets were outside all day and they contended with the hens from lunchtime.

They're extremely good at running away. Which is very nice for Ivy because she's no longer bottom of the pecking order. If she flaps her wings at the pullets from a few metres away, they scamper! She's pleased as punch.

View attachment 3337850
So wonderful to see her again! It's been a while. Things have worked out here well for Betty with the new additions. Everything is much calmer with the newcomers. It seems no one is really getting picked too much these days.

Sydney did fine with a nest in the coop, up in the air. I suspect that where she sat was not a problem.
I'm more worried about airflow. Beneath Mary's nest is completely open; if I recall, beneath Sydney's nest is more enclosed. Next season I don't want to put fertile eggs in a situation where the hen can't keep them warm and humid enough when the weather is chilly. Last year the weather was much warmer when Ivy incubated that egg. This year, Mary started off in the laundry basket, which is on the ground, then I moved her to the little coop. I think she knew what she was doing and I made a mistake when I moved her.

That said, it would easier for the chicks to be on the ground at first, because there would be no ramps for them to worry about. But safety from foxes is the first consideration.

So wonderful to see her again! It's been a while. Things have worked out here well for Betty with the new additions. Everything is much calmer with the newcomers. It seems no one is really getting picked too much these days.
I'm sure the flock will be happier with 9 hens than 4.

I've been wondering whether the egalitarian pecking circle will persist. Surely Janet, Peggy and Mary will find other people to discipline?

A nice photo of Katie :D

IMG_2022-12-02-07-19-41-136.jpg

Back
Top Bottom