MN winter and run covering

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I kept forgetting to grab my cell when I went down to the coop. Here are some pics.

Well I can see how snow accumulation would be a problem. I really can't see how you'd clear it reliably as there's no way for you to get in there or reach the center with the netting in place.

This is how I have my netting set up on the side with a lower fence, like yours - the coop is my "post with tennis balls" and then there's 7' U-posts ringing the outside with tension wire strung around the top perimeter, to allow the netting to rest at around 6' so I can fit inside the run. We don't have much snowfall but it can still accumulate pretty quickly... to clear it I take a broom, go inside the run and whack the netting, and it falls through.

coopnew1.jpg

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I kept forgetting to grab my cell when I went down to the coop. Here are some pics.
I can't see how to make that work....

Of course it depends on how often it snows, and how much, and how wet the snow is.

You can take a risk, and just hope you can knock the snow off before the net breaks.

Your fence posts don't look very sturdy, so putting something like chicken wire over the top of the run will mean that the fence posts bend and break when the chicken wire bends down under the weight of the snow.

Easiest would be to make a bit of roofed, better protected run that will be for winter after the snow busts the net top. Then every spring fix the net top.

You can hire someone to make the addition, or watch you tube videos to learn how to do it yourself, or buy a pre-made gazebo type structure where all you need to do is set it up against your coop and then staple and screw on wire sides.

Thought I'd add an update. I added a lot more fence posts. I made a grid out of steel electric fence wire and ran it through each post. Then added the chicken wire on top and zipped tied it all. Fingers crossed... :fl

Attachments

• 20201006_085508.jpg
    20201006_085508.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20201006_085500.jpg
    20201006_085500.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom