MO chick starter!

jessoriley

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 1, 2013
I am new at raising chicks, but am sooooo excited as I've always wanted to as a little girl. We do everything naturally minded in our home, and are finally ready to raise chicks, I know they need to be inside for the first 60 days until they get their feathers- which gives my hubby plenty of time to build their coop. I have been researching like crazy, but figured I'd asked suggestions as experience is the best teacher- First of all the breeds I am considering are Orpingtons, leghorns, americana, plymouth rock and rhode island red. I'm looking for a friendly birds with my children but able to manage the Mo winters and summers, and I'd like them to be pretty steady egg layers. I'd also like a beautiful bird as they will be my biggest hobby and "family member". Suggestions on good breeds? Can I mix breeds like that, will they get along? How many should I start with? I plan on letting them be free range for the most part after boundaries are made and they know their safe zone and depending on their tempermant etc. Also any natural or organic homemade chicken grit recipes? Thanks so much!

Greetings from Kansas, jessoreilly, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you are about to join the ranks of chicken owner! The breeds you mentioned are all excellent. I think you will find the leghorns the best layers (leghorn eggs are mostly what you buy in the store - they lay like crazy and don't eat too much). The others you listed will lay various shades of brown eggs. The Americauna will lay a blue or green egg. Breeds I really like are Red Stars and Black Stars. They are laying machines of brown eggs and are super friendly. Of your list, the leghorns are perhaps the least friendly - they tend to be a little nervous and jumpy. That's not to say they can't be tamed. And yes, they will all get along just great, particularly if you get them as chicks. I have a mixed flock of 19 birds comprising 11 different breeds. They have their pecking order but no one is excluded or picked on. Below is the breeds link where you can do more research. Start with as many as you like - just make the coop bigger than you think you might need - you may want to add more at a later date. Also see the link below that talks about space requirements. In terms of grit I would say plain old sand is pretty natural.
I wish you all the luck on your new adventure. Most importantly, have fun!!
woot.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/18442/how-much-space-per-chicken

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

Back
Top Bottom