Mocking birds?

No. But, I bet they would dive bomb them if they roamed near a nest, and I'm sure they would eat eggs and very young chicks if they could get them.

My girls suddenly bolted yesterday. They did not BAWK but suddenly looked up and took off running. I did not see anything but there is a nest of mockingbirds close by. They keep looking to the sky. I have not seen a thing. I wondered if the mocking birds were dive bombing them.

Well ...up here it is way too late in the year to be protecting a nest!

Maybe the mockingbirds were just messing with them and imitated a hawk sound?

I have Mockingbirds nest in my yard every year and when the babies leave the nest the parent birds will dive bomb the chickens to keep them away form the babies on the ground. After a few hits the chickens go out of their way not to get too close to the babies. I wish the Mockingbirds would stay around all year long, they keep the hawks away.

I came home from work yesterday to find a hawk inside my coop with hens on the nest and a broody with chicks. I didn't lose any hens, but one baby did get crushed in the panic. I guess it's scarecrow building time.

Mockingbirds are fearless, they will pretty much attack anything! They prove dinosaurs were birds and the mockingbirds' great grandaddy was a T Rex! If they were any bigger we would all be in grave danger
big_smile.png

Quote:
all I can say is keep feeding them and Hope for the best there a wonderful hawk detorant I must wanr you you should stay clear of the nest as well me and my dog have had our fair share of encounters with MB's LOL

I doubt the mocking birds were actually after your chickens....they might have seen a hawk or something and the mockingbirds were chasing it away. They are soooo good to have around. I absolutely love them.

Back
Top Bottom